Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile

YES! bats can have huge fangs.

When I worked as a biologist in the philippines I helped a friend of mine who was doing research on “flying foxes” I can’t remember the genus sp. name but they are the largest bats in the world and eat fruit. In the evening they fly very high in the air and they look like seagulls with long slow wing beats. So one evening we went out to capture and put transmitters on a few. Using a mist net (think of a fishing net made from monofilament) that was suspended about 200 feet in the air we caught two of them and lowered the net to the ground. AS the net got bigger I was astounded by how big they were!! YIKES, their wingspan approached 4 feet. So you have to grab them with BOTH hands and untangle them from the net while not trying to get bit. They are hissing, and craning their necks to try and bite you and they have some of the scariest set of teeth you can possible imagine. He was bit on one occasion and the bat bit through his flannel shirt, a heavy pair of leather gloves and still punctured his hand with enough force that it bled for about 30 minutes.

So indeed, perhaps the best way to describe these bats would be the deadly rabbit from the holy grail.

Moral of the story....
    Look but don't touch....
    and keep a Holy Handgrenad handy.

Wayacoyote

jfischer Guest

Bats are constant tenants in my barn, and
    I let them be, as they let me be.

I've put up 3 of the "bat houses", but
    our bats seem to like the rafters of
    the barn better, so I leave them an open
    exit at all times.

Back when I was a boy, we had bats in the
    attic of the old victorian we lived in,
    and one would get down into the house
    about once a year due to the attic
    stairway door being left open.

We would wave brooms and mops back and
    forth to create a "wall of moving objects" and slowly herd the bat (flying all the time, of course) towards the nearest door.

My "batting average" was pretty good.

If any of my bats have rabies, I've never
    seen a dead one, and I've never see
    them do more than flit around and dive
    at bugs at dusk. They have yet to
    bother the cats, the dog, or Prudence
    The Wonder Pig, so I see no reason to
    worry about them.

I've never seen bees flying as late as
    the earliest that bats come out.

Bats carry rabbies but it does not kill them.

the bats in the barn and not the bat box is a common scenario, they are somewhat reluctant to start using the boxes..

Default Re: Do Bats Eat Bees?

IOregonbeekeeper, you are talking a lot to RUBBISH, [B]"I feel compelled to tell everyone that yes, most bats in the US carry rabbies".....CRAP, most bats don't carry rabies, although they can. you, your dog cat and me are more likely to have rabies then bats, because we are on the ground and we are in constant contact with possibilities. Bats are up in the air or roosting and are less likely to have rabies. if the bat can't fly or out during the day, it means the bat is sick, but it does not mean it carries/have rabies.......STICK TO YOUR BEEKEEPING AND LEAVE THE BATS TO THE PEOPLE WHO KNOWS BETTER.

Yes rabies is high risk in USA, but so are all of us, dogs, cats, cattle, sheep, don't make bats the devil of all devils. BAT ARE GOOD TO KEEP AROUND YOUR HOME. USA has no vampire bats, only Central and South America
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by oregonbeekeeper View Post
    As a biologist, I feel compelled to tell everyone that yes, most bats in the US carry rabbies. The good news is that unless your flying over a stream or pond at night and you are exceptionaly small you are not going to get bit by one.

If you find a bat in the house, take a deep breath, put some some heavy gloves on and grab him gently yet firmly and put him outside. If you want to make a bat house to keep your mosquito counts down you can find plans at http://www.bats.org.uk/batinfo/batbox.htm

I was a beekeeper in the philippines and we had tons of bats but the real problem was the swifts (a small bird species). They would swarm to the apiary during the day and actually cause quite a bit of damage.

So in short, bats have rabies but they are our friends. They make look scary but all they really are is mice with specialized front legs that act like wings. If you can get your hands on one without soiling yourself you will be quite fascinated by them.

Welcome to Beesource!

Perhaps you didn't realize that you just dragged a 10 year old thread out of the depths!
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Hi there Graham, yes I do but it really get to me that people can be so ignorant and although it is 10yrs old everyday someone new read this rubbish. Bats are good and we need them and we don't need ignorant people to publish crap like this. I am feeding presently a mother daddy and 2 babies by hand because the owners of the house read this rubbish and now wont have a bat house after their home has been sealed off........in fact, they are being kept alive until their new home is up on the river banks on bee lava......(those that were removed from feral hives and just to many to box for the new hive) Rietha

As a bioligist I want to tell you most bats carry rabies???
    you need to check your credentials, While bats tend to have higher incedences than other mammals, in no area is "most" infected.

In fact its a tiny percentage

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0131133323.htm

Rubbish, not even 0.1% of bats carry rabies, if they have rabies they die as do all other mammals .Biologist or not, go back to the field and see what is happening in the field......books mean nothing. It is a miss conception to say bats carry rabies. that they may have contracted the rabies virus, yes this is possible but less likely than your land walking animals, you included. bats feed on insects or fruit, but for the vampire bats or then the carnivorous bats that might contract it buy eating a rabbit mouse or rat......I am from Namibia, residing now in Johannesburg and in Namibia we have from time to time a very high percentage of Kuku and Gemsbok (both large antelope) and even cattle having rabies, but we don't go around and advocate that Kudu, Gemsbok and cattle are carrier of rabies. The problem with you guys from America is you always "rip the ass (hole) out of the chicken so to speak"....that means you get on the bandwagon not knowing what is happening in real life.

Psst, I think you did not read my post, I quoted this beekeeper from Oregon that he said bats carry rabies. I DO NOT AGREE, it is rubbish!!!

Rietha

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    As a bioligist I want to tell you most bats carry rabies???
    you need to check your credentials, While bats tend to have higher incedences than other mammals, in no area is "most" infected.

In fact its a tiny percentage

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0131133323.htm