Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

unusual bee veil question

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ChellesBees 
#1 ·
i am a gardener and wanted to ask a question to all of you. is it reasonable to use a bee veil to keep gnats out of your hair and eyes (and nose, and, and ..) while you are gardening ? the gnats were terrible today and i am looking for a no chemical solution. if a bee veil keeps out gnats and didn't fall off while doing simple tasks like watering and things of that nature then i think it would be a perfect solution.
thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
hi!

there are a number of styles of veils we use- somehave a helmet and the veil drapes over it and others have the mesh supported w/ various types of battens or stays. None of them fall off and most stay relatively "put" w/ movement but I suspect you might find them obtrusive for gardening. They would stop gnats and mosquitos but you might be more comfortable w/ some of the lighter weight gardeners mesh headgear from gardenrsnsupply etc. you can see some of the styles in the online catalogs listed at beesource.com under supplies. Hope that helped some....

#5 ·
Check out Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas, or maybe Gander Mountain, (Fleet farm might even have them) they carry a light mesh bug net. You can get a hooded Jacket, pants, the whole works. They aren't cheap, but they keep gnats and deerflies out. They are much lighter weight than the bee veil is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.