racechaser Guest

I was looking into getting a hive started this spring.As I was looking up bat house plans on the internet and I began wondering about the combination.Bees sleep at night and bats come out at night.This should not be a problem but was just wondering if any of ya'll have bats and bees?

RAce I've got bats that I cannot get rid of believe me I have tried.also hives of bees here,& never had any problem,I guess it's like you said bat's feed at night.

When I lived in Western Nebraska, I had hives and quite a few bats that lived around there and they got along fine. As you say, the bats fly at night, the bees fly in the day. No problems.

racechaser Guest

Thanks. I have been away and was unable to check in sooner. I'm glad ya'll could confirm my reasoning.

And Mark,if you're in Alabama you'd prolly have skeeters out the wazoo if you didn't have those bats.I had bats for years and Hurricane Andrew came and they've never been back.But the skeeters took over real quick.
    What part of Alabama are you in? We go to Talladega twice a year.I love visiting up there.

Scott

Hi all, Mark I was wondering why you would be wanting to get rid of bats...

newbeekeeper, the bat's get under the louvers in the gable end of my house.one time they got so many that they pushed the screen out & was staying in the attic before we noticed it.& man they made a mess.I've put up better screen now they can't get in the attic ,but they still stay under the louvers & mess on top of the central air unit on one end of the house & the driveway on the other.& believe me they do mess.

hey Mark, have you tried getting advice from a group such as Bat conservation international? They may be able to help you with bat relocation. There are various types of bat houses that are pretty cheap to manufacture... By the way I was wondering if there is a market for bat "mess" ... perhaps you have a source of revenue right above your head...thanks for the quick response to my question.

Smile

Newbee:my wife contacted someone at Alburn unv,(ha-ha).they said if we moved them they would find their way back,yes I've seen the box's you talking about,I think I'll build some & get up there where they stay & block it off, maybe then they will go to the box.my wife put some of the mess around her flowers one time & it burned them up.( maybe put to much.)she said she was told it was good around flower's.

I've got a few bats. I've never yet seen them out while the bees were flying. What sort of bats do you have, and what are their habits? I have pipistrelles, which is a small insect-eater.

Robert: I don't know the type of bats I've got here, they are small no bigger than your 3 fingers.dark brown almost black.they are no problem with my bees because I've noticed they don't start to fly till at least 1 hr. after dark. mark

great question, thanks I was wondering the same thing

the first year i kept bees, was the first year i saw a kingbird.does any one else has them around their hives?

Ok, My intrest in sparked about putting a few bat houses around the house and apiary. My question is how to get the bats to live in the newly aquired house?

Any ideas. This is probably a silly question, but I have never had any dealings with the little winged creatures.

Thesurveyor