I just have to share... went out for my first "real" hive manipulation Sunday, 10 days after installing the package. @ 6 frames mostly drawn! Also found the queen and marked her without hurting her, despite shaking hands from nerves. Found eggs too! Fun. Anyway it seems like they're drawing out comb faster than I thought they would; they've taken almost a couple gallons of syrup. Should I give them another deep pretty soon? One book said after seven frames are drawn...

Also, there was some confusion when I got my package off the truck. They weren't marked as to the genetics of the queens, so couldn't tell whether I got Italian or Carniolan. Any reliable way to tell just from looking at her or, in a couple weeks, from her kids?

BTW, Sunday was one of the coolest things I've done in a long time... love this hobby!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Italains are most always brown. Carnis vary but are USUALLY black. Sometimes the Carnis are brown. So if it's brown, who knows. If it's black, it's a Carniolan. The Carnis I've gotten had a mixture of color of offspring. Some black, some gold.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Ben:

I would add on another deep (if yo uare using a two deep brood chamber) after they have drawn out the 7th frame.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

I waited until they had alomost all ten drawn before I put on a second box. I wanted them to have enough bees to really draw that second box fast. They did.

I have a package I started this year that only had 6 frames drawn out when I checked it and and just not a whole lot of bee's but still good population, went and just took the cover off 3 days later to just check on them and the whole hive was jam packed with bee's ( I mean full, loaded, coming out the front entrance, above the inter cover )and it was around 1:00 pm, guest i had a hatching, so I added a medium on to give them more room.
    Ted

Just checked my Hive which I installed the 3# Package on 4/3/05 and I had 4 frames of capped brood. This was the max that the bees could cover and keep warm. There were very few eggs in these frames. The eggs were near the very bottom of the frame, and in places where I assume the queen missed the 1st time. Bees should begin emerging this week.

When did you guys hive your packages? The bees can only keep so many frames of brood depending on how many bees are in the hive. They scale egg laying down when there aren't enough bees to keep brood warm.

I hived mine 3-11, hive 5 packages and all but 1 I have put mediums on top, the 1 weak hive was slow because of drifting when installed, I traded places about 3 weeks after i installed them because I seen that they had drifted but this hive is building fast now and I will inspect again this week to see if there ready for some more room.
    Ted

She was a pretty, tan brown. I believe there were more I's than C's in that shipment, so sounds likely Italian. My main reason for wondering, aside from just wanting to know, was the reported quick buildup of the Carnies in spring requiring extra vigilance re: swarming. I guess a newbie should proceed the same either way! Thanks folks.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO