I must start by saying that I'm not lazy and I did do a search before posting this question but I still never found a definative answer.

I have wood and wax frames in all my brood boxes and a mix of all plastic frames/foundation and wood wax in my supers.

I have heard that bees don't like you putting wax wood and all plastic in a single hive. Is it ok to have a wood/wax brood chamber and supers with all plastic frames/foundation?

I am sooooo over building, wiring and embedding foundation on wood frames.

>I have wood and wax frames in all my brood boxes and a mix of all plastic frames/foundation and wood wax in my supers.
    >I have heard that bees don't like you putting wax wood and all plastic in a single hive. Is it ok to have a wood/wax brood chamber and supers with all plastic frames/foundation?

Certainly. The only problems I've seen with mixing them is UNDRAWN plastic next to UNDRAWN wax and they will prefer the wax and avoid the plastic. You can add a box of either to a hive, just don't mix undrawn plastic and wax in the same box. Also, if you put a box of plastic on and a box of wax on top of it they may bypass the plastic to work the wax, but they will come back down to the plastic eventually.

>I am sooooo over building, wiring and embedding foundation on wood frames.

It is a lot of work.

And they you get a hot day and the wax all warps on you.

I never heard of sutch a problem. Right now I have lots of wooden frames, but have been steadily introducing plastic frames into my beekeeping operation. They draw it all the same for me. I guess they prefer wax over plasic as MB stated, but I never worried about it. I am in the same boat. Too many frames to get ready with too little time.

Ian

[This message has been edited by Ian (edited February 25, 2004).]

Thanks for the info guys. At first I thought it would be nice to just sit in the yard on a sunny day and build my little hive frames. After about a 100 or so I decided that building frames and installing foundation was at best, boring.

I'll tell you whats fun though, getting a shipment of pierco platic frames in the mail, driving to the apiary, and putting 2 supers on 5 hives in about 15 minutes.

Thanks again!!

Now imagine putting in a box of already DRAWN comb. I do like my PermaComb.

Hi MB

I have a mixed bag of plastic and wood. LOL

It got drawn ok.

I went with a local beekeeper today to look at 5 nucs he had forsale and we looked at the rest of his hives on that yard he had platic and wood mixed in most his hives.
    i ask this same question he said he noticed little difference in the platic and wood they will draw wood and wax a little better but the platice is much better.
    he will be joining us her soon. on beesorce
    ( my first convert lol)
    he said he didnt like the black platic they will pass it to work white wax or platic.

i bought 5 nucs for 25 each ( i need to stop buying bees now LOL)

Ray

>>he said he didnt like the black platic they will pass it to work white wax or platic.

Interesting, I found the same experience. But everyone else I talk or chat to finds the exact opposite,..?
    Perhaps there are some other conditions that are in play here..
    Ian

I've noticed when it comes to drawing comb there are a lot of factors that are involved. Just look at the plastic vs wax discussion. Some of use like plastic some hate it. If you put it in when the bees didn't want to draw it you'll think it failed because it was plastic, but I've put in wax and had them not draw it too. All in all, I will agree that wax seems more accepted, but I've seen the bees ignore them both. Maybe it's not the color but the timeing or some other factor.