Question

Hi! I have a recipe for a pollen substitute that calls for brewers yeast. I live on Cape Cod, which is a little Mayberry-esque in terms of hard-to-find items. We don't have any beer-brewing supply places around. I looked online for brewer's yeast, and have found mostly vitamin places that have it in tablets. Am I on the right track? Is there more than one type? Help!

some of the supply outfits have premixed recipes. Mann Lake has BEEPRO, B&B has VitaBee and Dadants have something else. We use BEEPRO and mix it with 20% granulated sugar and 30% corn syrup. Sometimes it takes a little extra corn syrup to get it to mix up. We make this into patties about three quaters of a pound. They tend to dry out so we put them in sandwich bags and then slit them several times wiht a razor blade before placing them on the top bars. I learned the sasndwich bag trick from Allen Dick. It works great.

If you need something soon go to the health food store and get soy flour or powdered soy milk. They love both of them. you can put it out in the open on a calm sunny day and they will feast.

I have organic soy flour already - the recipe I have calls for 3 parts soy flour, 1 part pollen or brewers yeast, and 2 parts table sugar.
    I suppose if I can't find the B.Y. I will mix up the flour and the sugar.
    Thanks for the bee pro info!

A

If I was going to pay the shipping on brewers yeast I'd just buy the pollen. Some suppliers have it cleaned and not cleaned. The not hand cleaned works for bee food.

Do you have any health food stores there?
    Or even a health food section in a grocery store, or possibly a co-op? Any of these will probably have brewer's yeast, if you decide you need it. Ask where you got the organic soy flour.
    Michelle

This is not directly related to a recipe. Here goes, Is there a problem feeding Bee-Pro during a honey flow? The reason that I ask is we have a short period between honey flows. The poplar honeyfl0w stops and a period of time elapses until we have the sourwood honeyflow. I was wondering if it would be advisable to feed Bee-PRO during the end of the Poplar Honeyflow to build an even larger workforce for the upcoming Sourwood flow?

Any comments would be appreciated..

Thesurveyor

[This message has been edited by thesurveyor (edited April 09, 2003).]