Thread: Types of bees

clonezero Guest

I just finished Bonneys books on bee keeping. It was great! I like the idea about starting with the "standard" equipment and Italian bees. However, he mentioned several other types Causcain & Mindnights. I was talking to a friend and he mentioned he had kepped Midnights in Texas. Is there a website or a good book that describes all these bees and some of there traits in detail?

Thx

Eric

Hi Eric,

Get ABC XYZ. Or The Hive And The Honeybee. These talk about the world races of bees. Also much more beekeeping info that you will find useful. For info on keeping bees without chemical treatments you can join Bio Bee list there are many there that keep many different races of bees. You can join through this site. I use carniolans, but recommend caucasians also. Remember that these bees need to be managed a bit differently than italians.

Clay

clonezero Guest
    Thx, Clay!

I was planing on getting ABC XYZ later this winter after I have read a couple more intro books and spoken with a couple more beekeepers. I have not seen The Hive And The Honeybee yet, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.

Thank you again,

Eric

clonezero Guest

I went to Bio-bee.com but did not see a section to sign up or join anything. COuld you post the URL for the site you mean.

Thx

clonezero Guest

Lightbulb

Thank you Barry.

Clay, I found a 1976 copy of ABC XYZ at the library ane read up on the different races of bees, but Midnights were not listed in this older version.

About raising bees in an "organic' manner. I though I would start with the standard commercial method and after two years try an organic method. This is what I have done with my aquaria.

Beleive me I am an advocate of more natural methods. All my livestock and plant do better without chemicals. But you need to understand the other point of view and how to counter them. I will keep a Bio Bee method in mind.