Help !, I am desperately trying to locate a source for food grade paint to paint my galvanized extractor, and every paint store I have tried is unable to help. They can supply paint for "incidental food contact" but say its unsuitable for the extractor.
    Any product names or sources for the paint anyone can help me with would sure be appreciated.

Desperate in Alberta

Bryan

have you tried or considered coating or dipping in resin used for fiberglass boar building? This stuff is basically plastic that seems to be inert when cured (no odor etc) but don't know that it would be certified food grade officially...

here is a link that might be of interest: http://www.paintcenter.org/rj/oct02l.cfm

Just a quick note, I bought an old galvanized extractor myself. I found that "Food Grade" epoxy coating is available through the Walter T. Kelley catalog. Others may carry it also. You may want to try Mann Lake, Betterbee, Glorybee, or Dadant. They may have it as well.

As I recall, it will cost you about $10 per quart and a quart should be plenty for the average hobbyist extractor.

Hope this helps,
    Paul

I've been using a galvanized extactor, without adding any coating. Is is necessary to do so? How often do you recoat?

Officially zinc is not an approved material for a food container especially one with a slightly acidic pH. Thus the reason for coating. I've cooked many a pot of stew in a large galvanized container (aka a large new garbage can on a fire) with no ill effects. It is best to coat galvanized containers and extractors, but for years people have used them without coating them.