Thread: weak queen?

upon checking my hive I found only a couple dozen eggs and couldnt locate the queen. Should I order a new queen and introduce her to the hive? This was a first year hive they have adequte supplies of honey and plenty of bees some capped brod in bottom deep.

>upon checking my hive I found only a couple dozen eggs and couldnt locate the queen. Should I order a new queen and introduce her to the hive? This was a first year hive they have adequte supplies of honey and plenty of bees some capped brod in bottom deep.

That may just be normal cutting back for this time of year. I would be careful not to jump to conclusions. Is the hive pretty strong? Is there plenty of capped and emerging brood? If so, then the queen has recently cut back but was laying very well when the hive needed it. If the hive was already on a down hill slide, them maybe a new queen is called for.

Michael,arter the queen stops laying in the fall, does she lay any at all through winter? When, why, how much? Thanks,.....Ron.

------------------

>Michael,arter the queen stops laying in the fall, does she lay any at all through winter? When, why, how much? Thanks,.....Ron.

Some of this depends on race. Some on climate. Some on the individual hive.

Usually they cut back on brood rearing about now, when the nights get colder and the days get shorter. Usually (in my climate) they stop laying (at least it appears they do) about November. I think sometimes the queen is laying a few eggs here and there and the bees just aren't raising them, because even when they apparently aren't rasing brood, removing the queen seems to set off queen cells. These queens probably won't succede because by then there aren't any drones.

They start rasing brood again, (in my climate) usually about Februaray when the trees start producing pollen but sometimes as late as March. But the brood rearing is conservative at first until more resources are coming in. That's why it's useful to feed in the spring. When resources are coming in they will raise more brood than if there are not. They don't want to use up all the stores if there isn't going to be anything coming in to feed the brood.

Michael - you are right. I went through my other 2 langs looking for a frame of eggs and couldn't find any. One hive is very strong with a real good pattern of capped brood and a queen, so I know it is not queenless. The other one I did find what might be multiple eggs, they were just at the edge of the cell (2 or 3) not very long. BUt not sure if they are from a laying worker or what I will check more later on this hive as I have been busy requeening my weakest one. Dumped all the bees out like you said just in case there was a laying worker or a bad queen.

>The other one I did find what might be multiple eggs, they were just at the edge of the cell (2 or 3) not very long. BUt not sure if they are from a laying worker or what I will check more later on this hive as

Doubles I never worry about if they are sporadic. Triples worry me. Any more than that and I'm sure I have a laying worker. If all of the cells are multiple eggs it's a sure thing there is a laying worker. If the pollen has four or five eggs in each half full cell it's also a for sure thing.