Thread: ordering bees

there are no bee supply houses in nebraska. what would be the best area to order from for this eastern nebraska location?

the major supplies are Mann lake,Dadant,Kelleys,Brushy Mountain,B+B,Better bee.Order catalog's from them all.

Actually there are two bee supply houses in Eastern Nebraska. One is near Bennet called Honey Bee World 402-782-2349. The guy running it is the retired bee inspector from Nebraska and is an excellent source of advice and wisdom. The other is Draper Bee in Auburn, Nebraska. I have a catalog, but I can't lay my hands on it right now.

I also buy a lot from Brushy Mt. Bee, Dadant, Beeworks, Beecommerce, Mann Lake, Western Bee Supply and some people who just make one or two things like MDA for splitters etc.

If you're looking for packages both Honey Bee World and Draper sell package bees that you pick up at their location. You have to reserve them soon to get them.

If you are ordering bees to be delivered, none that are close are cheap that I know of. I've had good luck with B. Weaver from Navasota TX. Most of the rest are past zone 5 and are too expensive to ship bees because you have to do UPS overnight.

Also Liberty Bee (also in Eastern Nebraska) says they have someone who delivers nucs here in Nebraska in the spring if you order them ahead.

I'm picking up some established hives at the end of this month and could bring you back a few if you want, or put together a nuc from them or make a shaken swarm for you. They are survivor feral stock, but if you'd rather have some other genetics you can order queens from anywhere and they will ship fine and we could do a shaken swarm with them.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited March 10, 2003).]

Draper's Super Bee
    914 S. Street
    Auburn, Ne. 68305
    ph 402.274.3725
    fax 402.274.3128

Michael, I may be interested in the extablished hives. Would you please e-mail me?
    Bill

thank you. i will call the bennett man you recommended, especially if he enjoys sharing his wisdom. i am starting again after several years so i have boxes etc, just need bees and a little encouragement. do you recommend any particular variety? i think i had italian before.
    feral hive? snatched from the wild?
    shaken swarm?

You can ask him what he has available. There's nothing wrong with Italians. I am going the feral route myself, but I also like the Russians for the mite resistance. They are all fine.