Thread: Question

Question

Hey people
    I have had bees for only a few months and I have noticed something that is confusing.Each evening I notice that a group of bees afixes itself(200) someplace near the left side of the entrance board or just above on the brood super. This has been going on for several weeks. Can anyone tell me what this means or doesn't mean.

Thanx
    Mike Garitta

The hive is hot and crowded so they decided to sleep outside. Serious.

I've noticed that mine alternate sides on different nights. I wonder if this has to do with where the queen is at the time inside the hive?

Big Grin

They are girls. Maybe they like to sleep around. Maybe they are just confused. Probably just a girl thing.

I've noticed that mine alternate sides on different nights. I wonder if this has to do with where the queen is at the time inside the hive?

Question

For Michael Bush
    My hives are fairly new started from nucs. I check them once every week or two and they dont seem to bee crowded.I have given them a med super for additional brood and another above an excluder for honey.We have had a lot of rain in NC and the blossoming is poor.My bees dont seem to drawing out any comb for honey in the top super so I assume that they still have room below.What do you think MIke???

Thanx
    Mike Garitta

>My hives are fairly new started from nucs. I check them once every week or two and they dont seem to bee crowded.I have given them a med super for additional brood and another above an excluder for honey.We have had a lot of rain in NC and the blossoming is poor.My bees dont seem to drawing out any comb for honey in the top super so I assume that they still have room below.What do you think MIke???

Do they have room? Did you check? Probably they do. Maybe they don't. You should look and see.

They often don't want to pass the excluder. If you're putting a medium on top of a deep for extra brood space (which I wouldn't do because of reasons listed below) then you may as well leave off the excluder. Worse case is the queen lays some in both medium boxes and you consolidate the brood to the lower medium box and add the excluder back.

Meanwhile, without the excluder I bet they will start drawing on the top box. Especially if you bait it with a couple of drawn partially filled frames from the box below.

The reason I wouldn't mix frames sizes on brood is the same reason, only more so, that I don't mix frame sizes at all. If all of your frames are interchanable you can rearrange things freely. If you get a honey bound brood chamber you can move some frames of honey up out of the brood nest. If the brood is all spread out and you want to consolidate it, or if you have any other manipulations including splits etc. you now have to also consider what size frame the brood is on. If you are using deeps for brood, I'd just put another deep on for the brood chamber. Personally I've gone to mediums for everything except one experiment in a horizontal hive with Dadant Deeps (11 5/8").

Question

For Michael Bush
    Why is it that they would not pass the excluder. I do notice that there are very few bees in the top super and they just seem to be milling around.The weather here has been very wet and the sourwood bloom has been lousy.Clover is almost gone.I wonder if they have little to do and not much extra honey. I will do a more in depth check as soon as the weather gets better. I'm lost. Hope you don't mind the direct questions.

Thanx
    Mike Garitta

>Why is it that they would not pass the excluder.

Imagine a door that you have to turn sideways and wriggle to get through. This is a what an excluder is to them. They don't like to do this if there is room where they are. It's why I try to do without the excluder when I can. They are handy for certain situations, but all in all, I try to avoid excluders. So do the bees.

>I do notice that there are very few bees in the top super and they just seem to be milling around.The weather here has been very wet and the sourwood bloom has been lousy.Clover is almost gone.I wonder if they have little to do and not much extra honey. I will do a more in depth check as soon as the weather gets better.

Well, they won't draw comb if there isn't a flow. But there is usually something coming in from spring to fall. Not often that nothing is coming in.

>I'm lost.

You don't sound lost. Just take off the excluder and bait up the super.

> You Hope you don't mind the direct questions.

Not at all.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

You may want to increase air flow in the hive.
    Increasing ventilation if it has been warm and muggy should help.

Ventilation is a good thing. About the only time you could overdo it is winter and early spring.