Question

I have a lab/greyhound mix. I am sure she will go sniffing around the hives.

Now if she gets stung, besides finding the sting what else should I do? Should I ask my vet for some meds to keep on hand?

I'm hoping that she will check out the hives all she wants before the bees come to live here and not care about them.

Thanks,
    Martha

When my dog Harris gets stung, it's usually around his mouth or on the nose...

he wipes his snout on the ground a few times.... then it's over.

My dog is a boxer. When she gets stung she does the same thing as daisy's dog. She has learned to stay away from hives for the most part but every now and then I get to get a good laugh.

Hi Martha
    I also have a dog who is interested in anything I do outside.She has learned to lay down and watch at a safe distance when I am working with the bees,She is mostly black from the ribs up and the bees will sting her if she gets near the front of the hives.They do not create a problem for her except for the pain of the sting.

Stuart

I have seven dogs and they love to run at our farm but quickly learned that they are to lay outside the bee 'yard' and wait! When I first got my bees they were very interested-when they got too close for comfort, I would give them the "No" command --that with a few stings and they got the message!! I haven't had a problem with the stings.....

Sad

My advice would be to train the dog to stay away right from the begining.
    I lost a beagle due to a bee sting.
    She got stung close up to her eye,
    when into a shock like behavior,
    while enroute to the vet she passed
    to the great big kennel in the sky.

Remember to bees a dog can look like skunks or bears that raid a hive. I have noticed lighter colored dogs do not get hit as much as my old black lab did.

My dog Harris is a yellow and white basset hound. He lays a distance from the hives and will come closer when I sit down next to the entrance to observe or veg out...

He's light colored and doesn't get stung often.

When he's on the porch and the bees are on the porch getting sugar syrup, they get on him and he nips at em, like you notice a dog nip at a fly...