I have been watching for a couple of days now, some nice looking Queen I suppose, flying close to the ground, looking for a hole to make a nest..... have you seen them too?
    I would like to put some Clay pots upside down into the ground, bottom slightly above ground, someone has mentioned here!
    Are there any other methods to attract them??
    Konrad
    Grow shrubs & trees,...it's good for bees!

The University of Nebraska at Lincoln had a program where they encoraged kids from all over the state to come up with bumble bee "hives" to attract them. They gave the kids all the information we have on what bumble bees prefer and none of them got a bumble bee to nest in their box.

That said, what they seem to prefer are old mouse nests, so maybe if you put an old mouse nest in the pot it might have the right smell.

Also, when I worked construction in Oklahoma we had forms that were two by four frames with plywood on them. Whenever someone put them with the open space down and left them for any period of time in the spring they would end up with a bumble bee nest in them. The space was 3 1/2" high by about 20" by 20".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I had a bumble bee observation hive mounted on my back door of the house--i removed the door knob and ran a 3/4 pvc through the opening where the door knob was with plywood on both sides. I bought the "humble bumble" bee observation hive at gardens alive--have seen some on ebay last weeek. There is a plexiglass top below the wood lid to observe the action. Was a good experience to say the least. Worse thing was "it stunk".
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

I always have a bumble bee next in my compost heap! And the southern eave of my garden shed is a carpenter bee motel.

I have never seen a bumble bee nest ever! When I was a kid I used to go around looking for all kinds of wasp/bee nests. I did find a dead bumble bee inside one of my hives that died.

>I have never seen a bumble bee nest ever<

Luke ;have a look at this great video on bumble bees.

http://mkat.iwf.de/mms/metafiles/020...0000000_lo.asx

Terry

I had a bumble bee nest under one of my hives. It was the neatest thing. Iwas out at the hive and heard a strange buzzing, took me 3 days to track it down.

My hives sit on a row of 6x6 timbers abort 20" apart. In between the boards and under a hive I noticed this little, oblong thinly veiled dry grass nest. It looked too small to be a mouse nest though. I was wondering if it wasnt a very small bird nest of some sort. It was about 3 - 4" long and about an inch or so wide. There was about 15 baby bumble bees in it all buzzing around ready to go. I kept watching it for the next 2 days and by the second day they were gone. Quite an interesting site to hear and see.

They reminded me of a clutch of baby flying squirrls I had that a logger gave me. I had them in a hardware cloth box about 12" x 6" x 8". Once they reached the time to go, those little suqirls(6)would run around all walls in that box at a blazing speed and never would run into each other. It was about as close as you can come to holding a nucleus in your hand.

scott

Thank you all!
    Michael, your right about this mouse nest thing....when I was a kid, I knew where to look for them, [Switzerland] there was a slope by a ditch, where the grass was kind of undisturbed and there was allot of moss, all we had to do is look, where the bumble go in and out, [small hole] we could find them every Year, probably around 10 small bumble bees calling in a mouse nest looking home, very very neat!
    Yesterday, someone told me he ones saw a Queen Bumble digging here way into the ground, just like a mole.
    One very desperate bumble bee!
    Konrad
    Grow shrubs & trees,...it's good for bees!

Thinking about it Mr. Bush is right. Everyone I have seen has made their nest in a old mouse nest. Hmmm... It's astounding what realize when you think about it for a bit.