Thread: foundation?

i'm getting ready to order frames & foundation for my hives, but not sure if i should go with the 100% beeswax or go with assembled frames,with waxed rite-cell foundation. these will be strictly for my deep boxes. thanks for all your help.

If you have the money for pre-made frames with plastic foundation, then by all means go for it. If you are looking to save some money however, go for wax: simple, inexpensive and time tested.

------------------
    Sol Parker
    Southern Oregon Apiaries
    http://www.allnaturalhoney.com

Arrow

For brood nest frames, I'd go only with regular wax (crimpwire or whatever) and leave the plastic stuff to honey supers. As the brood frames age and you need to replace with clean, fresh foundation it's much easier to replace wax foundation than to try and clean and get the bees to draw out worker-sized cells from the plastic stuff (you don't have this problem with the honey supers).

Everyone has their own opinion. I'd go with your gut feeling on it for starters and then you can go from there. They wouldn't make plastic foundation if someone didn't like it. I like it in a brood nest because the wax moths can't hurt it as bad.

My other issues now, are natural sized cells, and the choices are more limited there because they don't sell wired small cell wax.

I've used them all. Wired wax, unwired wax, sloped top bars, starter strips, plastic foundation, PermaComb. They are all useful. You can't get PermaComb in deeps, but it is wonderful because the wax moths (and SHB) can't tear it up. Wax is nice because the bees are quicker to draw it. Starter strips are nice because the bees can build what they want and the built it even faster than wax foundation. But you have to handle the combs carefully until they are attached on at least three sides. Wired wax is nice because it's stronger and doesn't sag as much. In the end you take your choice of what appeals to you.

For me it was mostly a time issue. I was and still am way too bussy to assemble thousnads of frames, I farm along side of beekeeping. That little extra I paid for the complete frames pays back in devidends when you have the frames complete sitting there waiting for you to put them into the boxes.
    One piece of advice, Don't skimp on the sugar surip if you are drawing out side of a honeyflow, the cost will be offset a few times over with wax production

Ian