My wife does real estate law work, and transacts lots of real estate closings, and yesterday came home and told me that the "bug exterminator guy" whom she often communicates with, has a crush on her. She took advantage a little of the fact, and set an appointment for him to come out and exterminate my carpenter bees. Of course we will pay him, but hey, the bill might not be so high We must have no less than 40 separate 3/8" diameter hole nests in our 2 buildings. They've gotta go, they are making swiss cheese of my log cabin and garage/workshop. Plus they are annoying. But the bright side of all of this is that he indicated he picked up 5 honey bee swarms last week, and would be perfectly willing to let me recover some of the future swarms in the next couple weeks. This hobby could get out of hand fast.
    First 4 hives, now 7, soon 5 additional new nucs full?
    I have a cool wife

P.S. what is the "standard toolkit" for swarm catchers?

I think I need a pruning shear, a box, a hammer and flat crowar, a sheet or blanket, maybe some lemongrass oil or lemon pledge, beesuit and veil, and some say, a shotgun
    What else am I missing?

[This message has been edited by Bill_newbee (edited May 25, 2004).]

I really like my five gallon bucket on a pole. You can slam it up from underneath and knock them into it. Beats being on a ladder all to pieces. You can make one or buy one from Brushy Mt.

Smile

A bee bucket! Now that could save an old man a broken neck or a bunch of half hacked scrub oak on the place.

Way cool, how do you attach the pole to the underside of the bucket?

Bill, A Bee Vac is very handy collecting swarms and from buildings. It just kinda demoralizes the bees and you get the Bees in a container to transport back home. Dale

The one I have I bought from Brushy Mt. but it's just a five gallon bucket with a piece of EMT (conduit) with a fitting on the end of the EMT that takes a nut. A flat disk of metal is on the bottom for a washer and the nut goes on the top with a hole just big enough for the EMT through the bucket. The lid has an area cut out and covered with screen. It also has a "harness" of rope that goes to four equidistant holes near the rim and come together and are tied to a rope that comes out the bottom of the bucket, so you can actually pull the lid on while it's up in the air.

Pretty slick.

Heyas Michael,

you don't happen to have some nice pics of your Bee Bucket?

8-)

Cinnamon

Sure:

Goto:
    http://www.beeequipment.com/search.asp

And search for the product code 270