Hybrid View

I'm asking this on this particular forum so I may get answers and not cause a pro vs. con issue on the FGMO forum, or get into a "your not doing it correct" issue.

Is there anyone , for whatever reason they may have, JUST using the cotton cords soaked with FGMO? This being without the fogger.

Has there been any success on ANY LEVEL or studies/personal trials on just the CORDS? I am looking at % or estimate of effectiveness.

How long will the cotton cords remain before they need replaced, on average?

In response to reading the praise that a recent new beekeeper recieved on fogging a new hive and attributing the fogging to eliminating v-mites, I am also asking for experienced beekeepers that have actually tried other v-mite options, know how to properly test for mites, and have comments on the application of FGMO on hives testing for mites to start with.

Thank You

I would like to know this myself. I personally don't like the treatment myself. I wouldn't do this ever.

I would think you could soak your cords in wintergreen oil that's thinned out with olive or other oils..... I wonder if this wouldn't be as affective if not more so?

After I read that these people are shooting steam into the hives, I couldn't read there anymore. Turned my stomach.

BjornBee:
    I have been using fgmo fog and cords since early spring on three hives. fog once a week EVERY sunday. Change cords every other sunday.found that cords are really frayed at the end of two weeks.
    hive #1 russian {three pound package this spring} just found my first mites last week in the drone brood.3 mites out of 15 ck'd
    hive #2 captured swarm last year: no mites.
    Hive #3 italian this hive was given to me late last summer. full of mites, used cords and fogged throughout the fall and all this summer.over winter this hive dwindled with nosema ,all that was left was a handfull of bees this spring. Hive now bees cover all twenty frames and are bringing in honey and have good stores. havent found a mite yet this year.

As I understood Dr Rodriguez's research he used just the cords in his first research. Later he used the fogger in addition. I think the disavantages of just the cords are that they don't kill the tracheal mites and they are more labor intensive because he had to put them in more often in order to be effective than he did with the fog.