Thread: Wax Moths

Question

I wish to assemble supers now for coming Packages with comb installed. Since no insects are flying right now (except for my bees)are these supers safe outdoors from wax moths, Is there a period of time or a temperture for wax moths to be flying and intering our hives to lay eggs. I am in a cold zone 5 and still have freezing temps at night. Jerry

jfischer Guest

If you are talking about "just wood",
    there's no problem. Wax moth like
    comb with pollen and honey and such,
    and can't tell a freshly-made/painted
    empty hive body from any other
    wooden object.

I've never seen wax moth on undrawn
    foundation, and I leave things like
    that stacked "outside" for as much as
    a week in early spring before we get
    them parceled out to the hives.

What say you, folks who keep things in
    their garages after assembly? Seen any
    wax moth setting up shop on undrawn
    foundation?

[This message has been edited by jfischer (edited March 18, 2004).]

I've never seen wax moths on undrawn foundation either. I never worry about it. But to be on the safe side, so they don't lay eggs, I usually have the top and bottom sealed up by putting it on a flat surface and putting a lid on it. But even when I don't do that I don't see any larvae on foundation.

I've found wax moth larva on store bought foundation (they spilled out as I opened the package). The foundation itself was fine, but maybe it was still early.

Question

I wish to assemble supers now for coming Packages with comb installed.
    Was not really worried about foundation but the center four frames will be drawn comb in each deep super. By these answers it must mean that the wax moths are flying, do they fly at night or day? I was hoping that they would need warmer weather.
    Thanks Jerry

They fly all the time, but I see more of them at night. They can't take a hard freeze, but they can fly in colder weather than bees can. Seal things up well and not many will find their way into the boxes.

Question

Mr. MB, Thanks. Has there been any study done on the Bug Zapper attracting the wax moth at night. I usually use one for one acre coverage for a yard light during the warm months. Maybe I could start early this year,I have watched lots of mosquitoes getting zapped which makes it worthwhile. Have to clean it out every so often. High body count about 40 ft from the Patio. Jerry

I've considered one. The chickens are happy to eat the bugs. But I haven't spent the money yet.

I saw one that did not need to be clean out(open bottom) which was placed over the pond to feed fish. It worked well. It also made fishing alot more plesant.

If you leave it on during the day, will the bees get zaped too?

J

I don't think the bees are attracted to the light like the moths and mosquitoes are.

Re Wax Moths:

I've not even been greatly bothered by moths attacking extracted and cleaned supers. They do their worse damage on comb that has had brood reared in it.
    Ox

robo Guest

It won't attrack the bees during the day if left on. But depending on how bright it is and how close to your hives, it could attrack them at night. The spotlight on my house will draw out some bees if left on for more than 15 minutes.

If you want to leave on a zapper, you can either use a cheap automatic timer or a photocell so that it only comes on at night. It would save you on money while saving energy to boot.
    WayaCoyote

Night flying bees! Maybe we can breed for that trait and get them to forage in the dark.