Thread: My Queen

Ok I admit ....Im pretty green.
    I would like to know if I should replace my Queen. bought her with a package last spring. She is a italian.Made me a fall honey crop of 35 lbs.Opened the hive today and found her she is three times bigger than the workers.Very long plump abdomen.
    There is alot of drone brood on the bottoms of the frames.Couldnt find any eggs in the upper hive body.Very sperattic brood.has been unseasonably cold here the last week.Is this normal brood count for this time of year?Seems to be alot of bees in this hive already. Did not see any superceadure cells.Bees are bringing in pollen and everything seems well.
    Any suggestions? Pardon my spelling.
    Thanks Scott

If I have very sporadic brood and not a lot of it and a lot of drone, I'd get a new queen.

Is the queen still laying brood and how many frames of brood does the hive have.The bees will hatch out sporaticly which may look like spotty brood.If the queen isn't laying or laying only drones its time to get rid of her fast.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Drone brood takes 24 days vs. 21 days for workers to emerge. This might help account for the appearence of alot of drone brood.

Are you running 2 or 3 brood boxes? If, you are running more than 1 brood box and the bottom box has brood and eggs, I'd say your good.

The queen most likely was laying, hence the good number of bees, then based on temperatures or lack of pollen, shut down for a period of time. They are bring in pollen and temps should get better shortly.
    I'd give them a week and check them again and re-evaluate.

Sad

Thank you for all your replies.
    I opened up again today ,both hive bodies.
    what I found was: Not one egg, no larva and about 5- 10 capped brood per frame with about three frames of this minimal brood in each box.Have noticed this hive getting mean compaired to my other hive,witch by the way has all stages of brood. lookes as if I'll have to requeen . agree?

Did you find a queen? My guess is it's queenless.

Greetings Michael
    Yes I found her when I opened it up, guess I forgot to mention that. I reopened today ,found her again and killed her. Thats like seeing your mother in law go over a cliff in your brand new cadillac {mixed feelings} Intoduced a new queen in a mailing cage with her attendents .They were working on the candy when I closed it back up. Wish me luck! for this is my first requeening.
    Thanks ...Scott