Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

9 frames or 10 ?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DBAK 
#1 ·
I just caught my first swarm two days ago (okay, really a beekeeping friend caught it for me - I just watched with my running shoes on). I'm wondering if most people use 9 or 10 frames in their hives. I hear of spacing tools and such - and even 10 frames fit with room to spare. Is one approach better than the other? Is this a new fad, or is their supporting research? If some exact spacing is best, why aren't the frame sides simply manufactured wider? Is this a case where manufacturers sell some new tool rather than fix the problem? I've been building my own frames - time consuming, but fun - and I could easily make my frames wider. Should I? By the way, the frame plans on this site are great!

Thanks,

Doug

#2 ·
Doug,
Use 10 frames in your brood chambers and 9 in your honey supers. 9 frames in a honey super will give you drawn comb that is a little wider and makes it easier to cut the cappings off when you get ready to extract. 9 or 10 frames in your brood chambers would be up to your own personal preference, but you will find that the bees will make more burr and brace comb on 9 frames. Just a personal observation of my own experience. Always put ten frames of which ever kind in if you are starting with foundation. I am assuming when you state that 10 frames fit easily that there is only foundation in your frames currently and not drawn comb. You will find that when it is drawn comb that 10 frames do fit, but it will not be as easily as when it was un-drawn foundation.

Regards,
DBAK

------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.