Ok it is currently 45 degrees outside and the bees are flying......at first I thought it was just short clensing flights but then I saw pollen being brought in........what the heck? I thought that the bees would not fly and forage below 55 degrees........are my bees able to work at that lower temp? They are carniolians..........

------------------
    You have to stop and smell the roses......but please watch out for my bees.

Carniolans will forage in colder temps than Italians. Also, a bright sunny day adds to the "felt" temperature for the bees just like it does for you. That sunshine gives them more warmth and therfore more ability to fly.

45 F is impressive.

My NWC were like that last winter. Any day that was above 40, calm and sunny they would make a bee line to the horse troughs.

jfischer Guest

Why not send an e-mail to Susan Cobey (cobey.1@osu.edu), and say "thank you"?

Like everyone, I'm sure she'd like some
    fan mail about NWCs. She is the creator
    of the NWC line, and continues the work
    to improve it.

As a beekeeper, I am rather fond of the
    ground upon which she walks. Her bees
    are just that good for this area and
    my purposes.

>Why not send an e-mail to Susan Cobey (cobey.1@osu.edu), and say "thank you"?

I got to do that last spring when we had lunch together at our Kansas Honey Producers meeting.

I've seen them out regularly when it's fairly cold, calm and sunny. Much more with the NWC than Italian. I've even seen NWC take short (very short) cleansing flights at 19F when calm and sunny.

Here in Ct they were flying like it was summer. I have to check every hive to make sure the little buggers aren't robbing. We've had several frosts. What can they be working? I managed to slip them some more feed today.

dickm

Default Re: 45 degrees and flying?

Hi everyone,

Yes, thank Sue for her hard work and determination. We are currently expanding the genetic pool we are selecting from.

Exciting things!

We are also working on a Pacific Northwest line of bees that will thrive in the colder wet climates.

Working as Sue's intern is a lot of fun and highly educational.

Take Care!

Joe McConnaughy
    "Slow Down and Taste the Vanilla" - My Grandma

Sue is a HOOT inst she
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Mine were flying at 36 today.

Once (only once) I saw a steady stream of bees (obviously not just cleansing or orientation) when it was 27 F sunny and calm. As long as they can keep their body temp above 50 F (the sun and clam help) they can fly.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Some bees (I think it has to do with the genetics) fly in the 30's. I've never seen any of mine fly in the 20's, but many in the upper 30's. When it happens, you'll see a bunch of hives with no activity at all and think they are dead - but, they are just fine. Some bees like it warmer, some are polar bears.

Interesting this topic should come up just now.

Saturday morning I got up early, took a thermometer and my coffee, and sat down to see what temp my bees started flying at.

A few took off to forage at 45, but by the time it was 48, there was normal traffic going in and out.
    These are mongrels of mostly Italian lineage.. a few of them almost lemony in color, but a lot of them a bit darker than most commercial Italians.

Quote Originally Posted by jajtiii View Post
    Some bees like it warmer, some are polar bears.
    Uh, TYPO! I'm sure you meant polar bees.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Joe,
    Keep me posted, here in the PNW we need bees with rain coats that can fly from 45 to 50 degrees! I did see a couple out yesterday and it really shocked me since it was 45 and pouring rain. I thought it was my imagination. Had snow again this morning!
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    Joe,
    Keep me posted, here in the PNW we need bees with rain coats that can fly from 45 to 50 degrees! I did see a couple out yesterday and it really shocked me since it was 45 and pouring rain. I thought it was my imagination. Had snow again this morning!
    I will try minz...

We finally had a nice day here in WA and Concrete bees (here on the board) and I worked the 1st round of imports this morning. They are looking good. The second round of imports (2011) were sent to Cali for propagation. I can't wait to see how they do. The more we mix the gene pool the better the bees will be. The USA genetics are too closely related (less than 500 mothers). So were mixing survivors with newly imported genetic lines and seeing great results.

Joe
    "Slow Down and Taste the Vanilla" - My Grandma

I have 2 hives that anytime it was sunny this winter they were out. Granted it never got very cold this winter but I saw them out when it was 36 degrees out. I had to go and check the thermometer in the truck since I had always read that they only fly when its above 50. They are both swarms that came from inside someones house, unfortunately they never did call me back about the cutout