Thread: WHY?

Question

I bought a 5 frame nuc 2 weeks ago and put them in a 10 frame hive. There was no queen but several queen cells. (never buy from that man again) but anyways when I was on my way to check them this afternoon they swarmed. Why? They had plenty of room. Was it because they might have been about to swarm on the man that sold them and they were just programed to do it? well, I was able to get the swarm in a nuc with a frame of brood and put a hivetop feeder on them. That was a rush when I shook the branch and tey fell into the box and had thousands of bees flying around me. Set the box in the crok of the tree limb and the rest marched right in. But why did they swarm?

>I bought a 5 frame nuc 2 weeks ago and put them in a 10 frame hive. There was no queen but several queen cells. (never buy from that man again) but anyways when I was on my way to check them this afternoon they swarmed. Why? They had plenty of room. Was it because they might have been about to swarm on the man that sold them and they were just programed to do it?

Maybe. Once they make up their mind it takes a bit to change it. But usually being split into a nuc would do it. I wonder if they were in the nuc and the nuc had already swarmed before you got it and this is an afterswarm?

That could be as when we moved the frames over there was a queen cell that had just hatched (with hinged cap on bottof of queen cell?) and several other queen cells.....It really got me mad to get 6 nucs and 5 were queenless......now today they all have new queens installed......

Good luck to you, but that is one reason why I really couldn't recommend nucs to a total beginner. Just too many variables. Packages certainly aren't fool proof, but to my mind are just a little easier.