Thread: Rogue queen

Recently hived 3 packages, in 3 seperate hives, about 30 feet away from a swarm I am attempting to get to stay put. Did my first full hive inspections of the 3 new packages and low and behold found an unmarked queen in one. I was stunned. I never saw the marked queen and I know I put one in there with a green dot on her.

What happened to the shipped queen? If I find her, could I take this one out and put her in one of my estabished hives if there is still no queen there? Where do you think she came from?

I know it was a queen; I just had about 3 of them in my hand about a month ago plus she was HUGE. running for dear life through the bee space at the end of the frames they had made.

When shaking bees into the packages, the queen (from the package producers hive) was likely missed and ended up shook into your package.

Yes, If you happen to find both queens you could take one out, cage it and use her elsewhere. However, it's more likely that they already fought it out and the marked queen is dead.

-Tim

too much. This was on my week package to boot; the one that about 2/3rds of drowned. Well, if she was stronger, let her have it, they need it!

That's my guess too. Probably shook in a virgin and she, or the workers, probably killed the other one.