Question

I checked my two hives for the second time this weekend. They were 2 lb packages installed about 2 1/2 weeks ago. (I got 2 lb packages because that's what the beekeeping association was getting.)

Hive One has worked about 4 frames and I saw capped brood, larvae, and eggs along with honey and pollen.

Hive Two has only worked about 2 frames and I saw capped brood and eggs, but no larvae. They also appeared to have more honey and pollen stores than hive One.

Both hives have consumed about the same amount of 1:1 syrup (about 1 gallon.)

The first 10 days or so after the bees were hived it was cool and rainy with frost occurring several nights.

So, how does it seem like my hives are doing? Why would one hive be doing so much better than the other? It's been ten plus years since I last had bees, so I don't really remember too much about their progress.

Ryan

thats odd to see capped brood or eggs, but no larvae whatsoever. Are you seeing multiple eggs in the cells?

It is odd that there's no larvae, but maybe you just missed it.

One hive often does much better for no apparent reason. My guess is the queen makes more QMP or the queen is a better queen in general or the genetis is better. But usually, I think, it's the difference in queens.

Did you look for a queen in the one not doing as well?

Was the queen marked?

If you find an unmarked queen and yours was marked it may be the answer to the question is that they superced the old queen or the old queen was lost and the hive lost some brood rearing time in between.

But it does seem like the timing would end up with no capped brood before you started seeing some eggs. But if the queen was started from 3 day old larvae and she mated very soon after emergence, I suppose 2 1/2 weeks could account for everything. Especially if it was a supercedure and they didn't dispose of the old queen right away.

Only one egg per cell and the frame of capped brood had a good pattern and the egg pattern on each side of the frame facing that frame also looked good. Our last frost was about 4-5 days ago. I wonder if the queen quit laying for a fee days during the cold weather and now that it's warm again she just resumed laying?

Ryan

I didn't find the queen as she's not marked and I'm not very good at spotting her yet. Lot's of eggs though. I have a queen excluder on the bottom being used as a queen includer, so I don't think I could have lost and regained a new queen. I guess I could have missed some larvae, but with only 4 frame sides to look at I couldn't have missed that much.

I guess I'll know more when I check them again in a week or two.

Ryan