I checked my bees yesterday after leaving them alone for a week. I had pulled the excluder and put another deep on. The shallow was 80% filled with sealed honey and still had a little drone brood in one frame. They had started drawing a little bit of comb in the new deep. I installed a "Candibox" feeder in the new deep with two frames of foundation inside. I put it in the top deep because the bottom had fully drawn comb and brood and honey and pollen. I poured in 2.5 quarts of sugar syrup and put the hive back together. I went back in the house and came back out about 1/2 hour later. The bees were flying everywhere. I wasn't sure if they were swarming or what, but they were just coming in and going out in a frenzy, and hovering all around the hive entrance. After a while they settled down a little. Is this to be expected, or what else might be going on?

Did you look inside? Was there wrestling on the landing board? Were they hovering all around the hive like they were looking for a way in? Wrestling and Hovering are signs of robbers. It may be they came and investigated and your hive put up enough resistance that they left. I don't know what kind of feeder this is, but could it have dumped the feed all over the bees?

I haven't looked inside . They appear to be acting normally today. It's about 100 degrees and sunny. The Candibox is a plastic container that holds two frames of foundation. You install it in a deep and put the two frames inside, pour in the syrup. The maker claims it won't drown bees, since they have the foundation to climb on. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and open it up to see how much they have eaten, etc. I dripped a few drops of syrup on the front porch and most of the bees ignored it. A few landed in it and proceeded to suck it up.