Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17-year locust

dcromwel Guest

Predictions say we're due for the 17-year locust infestation in the mid-Atlantic region this spring and summer. I remember these critters all over the place and all over everything 34 years ago during grade school. Any of you more experienced beekeepers out there have any sense of the potential impact of this infestation on honey bees?

Thanks,

David in Baltimore

Jason G in Tennessee Guest

No harm at all. They come out to mate and lay eggs and get eaten by birds, fish and other insectivores. They are excellent fishbait. Their wings vibrate on the surface and are very attractive to all kinds of fish!
    JG

Y'er a good man, Jason!!!! Now I will be on the lookout for locusts. Used to play with them as a kid.

Between Catalpa worms and locusts there should be some catfish in the freezer soon.

I too remember the 17 year locust here in MD and it was like being in a Star Trek movie and having the sound of phasers fill the air day and night. My dog would go in the back yard and feast on the critters until her belly was about to pop.

I've heard that not only are they good as fish bait, but fried up in a pan they taste pretty good too. I'm going to be brave and try some.

Kai

Wink

I will try to make it out to OK this Summer to eat some fish with you!
    I have vowed to take my boy fishing and camping this Summer. I can't wait!
    Jason

Do you think they can navigate the St. Lawrence Seaway?

Coyote, I believe your real name is Iktomi?

Well, anyone who would pick Coyote for a name...

Did anyone every ask "why the long face?"

Frankly, I believe coyote. The only thing that he is incorrect about is that cycle is soon to arrive. In fact, it just happened. Click here for details:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2910849.stm

Be afraid. Be very very afraid.

Cool

Ever wonder what Coyote is useing in his smoker lol

All the American Indians I know have a real sense of humor.

Here are a few of their favorite jokes:
    ------------------
    An oil well caught on fire up near Valentine Nebraska. The local TV news set up camp and was reporting. The rancher who owned the well called up Red Adair and Red wanted a million dollars to put out the fire. So the rancher announced on TV that he would pay a reward of $100,000 to anyone who put out the fire. About half an hour later a fire truck bearing the logo of the Parmalee (a town on the Rosebud rez) volunteer firemen, came screaming up the road right toward the fire. At the last minute it swerved into a broad slide and came to a stop right at the fire. The firemen jumped out, hosed each other off as one of the firemen put out the fire.

The news reported rushed up to one of the firemen and said, "that was the most amazing act of bravery I've every seen! What will you do with the reward money?"

The fireman said, "First thing we'll do is fix the brakes on that old truck!"
    ---------------------
    A Texas rancher was driving across the Pine Ridge reservation up by Porcupine. He saw an Indian on a horse riding the fence line with a few cattle around and he pulled over and said hello. The Indian rode over to the fence to see what he wanted and the rancher said that he raised cattle too and asked him how much land he had. The Indian looked around the edges of the fenced pasture and said; "well you can pretty much see it all from here". The rancher puffed out his chest a bit and said "well I can get in my pickup in the morning and drive all day and I can't go all the way around my place." The Indian mulled this over a minute and said, "Yea, I had a truck like that once."
    ----------------

My godfather's fave: A dairy farmer's cleaning up the winter manure pile and making a mess on the road, when he gets stopped by the sheriff. While the sheriff is writing up the ticket, he keeps waving away flies. He finally gets so frustrated that he asks the farmer what kind of flies keep circling his head. "Circle flies" the farmer says. "Why are they called that?" "Well, they're known for circling around horse's *sses." "Hey, are you calling me..." "No officer, I would never, but you can't fool those flies."

Back to crickets. (Not that we got off topic or anything) Has anyone ever heard of a Mormon cricket? I heard that in western CO a year ago or so they were so thick that the corpses would make cars skid off the road. Th LA Times did a story on them.

Dickm

>Back to crickets. (Not that we got off topic or anything) Has anyone ever heard of a Mormon cricket? I heard that in western CO a year ago or so they were so thick that the corpses would make cars skid off the road. Th LA Times did a story on them.

The crickets were that bad here two years ago. The grassoppers were that bad last year. Now we get the giant locust.... oh well.

We had the 17 year locust plague here last year. Nasty little creatures yet fascinating. Some of them emerged in the meathouse I had recently built through the packed crusher run floor. It just so happened that I had started a bunch of apple trees and they killed some of my grafts. My old Grandmaw used to say that their mating song said "Pharoah, Pharoah" alluding to the biblical locust plague. Technically not the same locust, though. You will hear the mating song for a couple years after they are gone if you live near the woods. Enough to drive you to drinkin'.

As far as fish bait, they are dynamite the first couple of weeks. After that all fish, dogs, cats, chickens etc. are constipated and don't feel like eating anything.

Wink

I can't ever tell when you guys are for real! That squid was awesome though! I'm having lovely visions of cheap calimari!!!

Had a chemistry lab partner from Taiwan who ate them when they last visited Ohio. Used to collect them in a shoe box and take them back to his dorm room to cook for dinner. Invited me over a couple time, but I never obliged.

Exclamation

We have a nasty looking cricket around here that lives in basements, old woodpiles and caves. Check out the URL pic. below.
    http://www.caves.org/conservancy/ikc...ow/slide20.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast