I got my start last season and am hooked for life I believe . I ran across an old beekeeper that wants out . He has enough hive bodys to make 50 hives at least that are all 8 frame deeps . He is also selling me bees that he overwintered in these .

My main question is with these all being used and some as old as 40 years old how can I make sure to not bring in a disease to my healthy bees ? There is drawn comb but some in my opinion is way past use as it is black as coal .

Is there a way that is practical to decontaminate ? I would have no problem with a large pot of boiling water with some clorox it it if that would do it .

Drifter
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

I get used equipment all the time. Especially if you trust the beekeeper, I wouldn't worry too much. But there's nothing you can do short of irradiation or some fancy equipment none of us can afford that will kill all the AFB spores.

Common treatments that are effective at reducing it are charing the inside or dipping in boiling lye water.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hi there. When I get stuff used I usually lye dip. I have alot more of it to do this spring.

Matt
    Columbia City, Indiana

Thanks guys . I hope that I can salvage enough to get a good start . All this equipment is old and needs a lot of TLC but we all have to start somewhere .

Drifter
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

BTW I like eight frame stuff for it's light weight. But I run all mediums besides and I have a lot of both 8 frame and 10 frame stuff.

I think as all of us beekeepers keep getting older and all the young people keep getting wimpier, there will be more eight frame eqiupment. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you want to buy parts for eight frame eqiupment new, Brushy Mt. has most everything you could want.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF