I was wondering if anyone keeps records on their hives? I decided to make a check list sheet that I plan to use with all my hives and keep them in a binder.

Anyone else do this or am I just a nerd?

We keep record to be used for tax purposes along with notes on a calander about events in the hive.

I also started doing what an old time beekeeper here does and that is write on the hive top with a crayon about info pertaining to the hive
    - start date, requeening, etc

i try to write down as much info as i feel i need for knowelge at a later time. i also write down when certain flowers/trees bloom.
    this yr is about 1-2 weeks ahead of season from last yr for things blooming.
    im sure if i get alot more hives i will have to find an easier way to record things per hive, but i also enjoy writting so its not like its a bother to me

there is a great record system you can use at www.mybeehives.com. Check it out.

I keep a written record of dates. For example, if I split a hive, I will want to keep track of when the split was made so I know when to check for brood.I also keep track of which queen mothered which queen.

[This message has been edited by Terri (edited July 28, 2004).]

I record every time I go into the hives and what I do. You'd be surprised how many times I've referred back to those notes. Sure does come in handy.

Greetings . . .

My "Hive Notes" are just an onging WP doc in my computer. I alway begin each entry w/ "DATE". I also use a voice-activated mini-recorder (coverall pocket) and "talk to myself" EACH time I open hive, later adding this info to "Hive Notes".

Since Jan 2, 2004, I have made over 170 entrys, recording things like; 1/3-Overnight low 8F, 2/6-Mite Test found 41 in 35 days, 3/19-Added grease patty, 4/9-Inventory of each frame contents, 6/2-Removed Honey, 7/29-Hive Scale reading 80.5 lbs.

My advice . . . Keep some kind of record, you'll never be sorry, and you can guit anytime you think its a waste!!!!

------------------
    Dave W . . .

Hobbyist - 1 Hive
    First Package - Apr 03
    Broodnest - 3 Deeps
    Screened Bottom Board
    Apistan - Aug 18, 03
    Grease Patties - All year
    2003/04 Winter Loss - 0%
    See Forum1/HTML/001304, for ongoing mite counts.

I keep a journal of sorts. Like Terri, I keep up with which queens where born from which. I also keep up with things about each hive that I like (quick build-up, dry capping, etc...)