Question

Ok, so i just did my inspection yesterday on my hives and one in particular had a ton of bees in there...I know if I don't add another super, they will more than likely swarm in another couple weeks/month if i leave it as is. However, in the top super, right now they only have ~40% capped.....should I go ahead and add another super or wait another couple days to a week to encourage them to cap a little more before i add....ps. there wes no presense of queen cells/cups so I know im good to go for a while.

I generally add a super when 7 or 8 of the frames are fully drawn, and when it looks like the bees are literally spilling out when you remove the top and inner cover.

Hi,

Will the super that are added have drawn comb? If so add several supers. If not then I'd bottom super when about 7 frames are drawn out and manipulate the undrawn to the center adjacent to capped combs. This last part is important so the bees don't flair the comb out and not draw the foundation out properly.

Clay

If you wait for it to be capped they'll swarm first. They need a lot of surface area to evaporate the nectar. If they have anything in the cells of 80% of the box, it's time to add another one.

in adhering to the ~70-80% principle, (for adding brood boxes) is that %age fully drawn foundation or just started - I am using pierco...

BS

I figure it's "started". But by started I mean it's partially drawn and has something in it, like nectar. They won't cap it for some time.