I have a guy that has a colony of bees in his rafters in his house......He wants them removed (or he is killing them) and I was wondering if it was too late to do that? I have another hive right now filling another hive body with syrup honey......I know I could use that on top but I am hoping that I can get at least 6 frames of comb and brood from the extraction.....would I have to feed them pollen substitute?......what are the odds?

------------------
    You have to stop and smell the roses......but please watch out for my bees.

[This message has been edited by Flewster (edited September 24, 2004).]

Flewster, I looked at your weather on the Net, day mid 70's, night low 50's.
    I would go for it if he would close it back up. Or if you are paid for the job.
    I do not know the history of your weather at this time of year, but if your other colony is bringing in the "gold" why woulden't this colony do the same.
    I would provide as much drawn comb as possible and feed all stores the colony has accumulated back to them.
    If you do not try the transfer you will never know the results.

Yes he is closing it up.....I have another colony drawning a deep super for me as i am feeding them heavy......actually I had them draw a super 6 5/8" with sugar syrup and I "harvested" it......they have almost got another Med super drawn and filled and I am refeeding the sugar syrup honey to help with drawing this deep.......when I extract this colony I am hoping on getting at least 6 good combs and have them build the rest (10) tby feeding heavy and then add this other HB that this other colony is drawing and filling.......That is the plan......

------------------
    You have to stop and smell the roses......but please watch out for my bees.

You may get six good combs, but I bet four of them will be just honey. Brooding is backing off and there will probably not be very much brood to salvage.

You still have a win, win situation. Your going to get paid and have some bees to add to your apiary, either as a nuc or a boost to a small hive.

I have another job set up for next Tuesday. I don't intend to try to salvage more than just a frame or two of brood, just enough to get them to gather up for the transfer. I will combine them with a small hive and feed the honey to the same. I don't like the dissapointment of losing even a small hive (nuc) that could have been saved just by combining them with another.

Our typical first frost is just three weeks away, but then we could be lucky like last year and it hold off until the first week of December.

Hey, when you comin' over? Remember the 15th and 16th is the KHPA meeting in Dodge City.