Question

A few years ago, when I first started keeping bees, other beekeepers discouraged me from getting a painted (marked) queen because they said that the bees would replace a painted queen much more quickly than an unpainted. Is there any truth in this?

No.

There is some discussion about whether they will replace a CLIPPED queen sooner, but I've never heard of anyone thinking that a marked one would be. I don't think a clipped one get's replaced any more often either.

I have clipped all my queens for many years,and most of them will still be there the next spring.It is a fast way to tell the queens age and of course it buys you a little time during swarm season.
    --Mike

Hi,

I have never found marked queens to be replaced quicker(don't mark much anymore). And as Micheal says I don't think a clipped one does either. But think I have said before that I don't clip as I don't like any damage to queens. I want them to be able to fly. It is my own personal thingie here its not to say clipping is good or bad. Just the way I feel about it.

Clay

I do have a friend who once had a bad experience; he introduced four marked queens and lost the lot. Result is, he swears that marking causes the bees to reject the queen. It might be worth thinking about what you're marking her with, and what smells could be on your hand if you hold her (I use a crown of thorns because I don't want to introduce odd smells on a queen). but if marking resulted in rejection or a shorter life expecancy for the queen, then surely we'd all know about it, given the number of people who do mark.

In the Spring I may catch and clip 40 or more queens a day.You would think that the accumulated pheromones might cause the bees to ball the queen(strange queen smell)I have watched and never seen this happen.If it did handwashing between hives would be required.Some nervous strains of bees might re-act differently of course.
    ---Mike

I want the healthiest queen available when I order them. I do not want any additional handling or chance of damage. Big bee operators hire, I'm sure very capable people, but there is always a chance.

friend of mine marked a 'running queen' one time, ended up putting a streak on her and I think she stuck around for about five seasons. Everyone around here goes with clipless queens but people on this forum don't see any problem with it. I guess that is the case but I would rather just give her a tattoo than ground her for life as well.