Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IPM crisco

"How do you keep them from getting all over and making a mess?"

I don't worry about the mess, ChellesBees, I just mix mine up in a 5 gallon bucket, and use a big spoon or scoop to put some on the top bars. I even crumble the mixture a little before moving on to the next hive. Having it broken up does create somewhat of a mess, but that's a good thing. You want the bees to contact this stuff, and having it broken up provides more surface area, therefore more bees contacting more oil. It also seems that it stimulates the bees to work on cleaning it out better than just one solid patty. At any rate, it has worked well for me.

------------------
    Rob Koss

>If you're not using them, what are you using now?

Since I started using the FGMO I haven't bothered. The FGMO fog is less labor and less messy.

Hey, Dave W just did a great job summarizing lots of different grease patty recipes (under Diseases & Pests). Here is the link:
    http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000121.html

Hey, Dave W just did a great job summarizing lots of different grease patty recipes (under Diseases & Pests). Here is the link:
    http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000121.html

whoops! Really it deserved to be said twice .

Bjorn, I'd also appreciate your recipe for home made Honey-B-Healthy. Could you post it for us?

Margot,

I have used terra-patties, pollen substitute, my own crisco patties, FGMO (First time I've admitted to that), fumildil-B, Certan, Apistan, B-pro patties, para-moth, terramyacin mixed with my own sugar, and some I'm sure I missed. To tell the truth I do not even know what Honey B healthy is. Unless it falls into one of the other catagories of bee suppliments, I can't ever remember mentioning it before.

I'm thinking maybe margot has me confused with another???? And what is Honey B healthy anyways? I scanned Dadant and Mann lake magazine and didn't see it. My other catalogs are at the office. I know I seen it advertised but not sure which mag offers it. And is there a home-made version?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/bees/

There has been a discussion on the above site about a home made reciept for Honey B Heal RE: Anybody using Honey B Healthy?
    Posted by: hunter_tx 7bTx (My Page) on Wed, Aug 6, 03 at 12:31

I use a substitute that I mix myself for all new hives while they are building new comb, and as a Spring and Fall feeding. MsHunter.

I have the reciept, let me know if you can't find it and I will email it to you. Dale

HBH is a mixture of Lemongrass oil, Peppermint oil and Lecithin. It is available from John Seets, who has posted in the PermaComb thread many times or from www.bee-commerce.com

It is a very good attractant for feed. Meaning the bees find it and take it. There is a study you can read on www.bee-commerce.com that was done on the health benefits to the bees. Basicly the same as is attributed to wintergreen, pepermint and other essential oils. That it boosts the immune system and interferes with the mites reproducing to some extent.

In light syrup it makes a nice calming spray. In an old box it makes a nice swarm lure.

You can probably make a lot of it yourself cheaply. Both peppermint oil and lemongrass oil are cheaper than say wintergreen oil. and they are certainly cheaper than the HBH. But the HBH is a very nice product for those wanting to use some essential oils in the hive.

I use wintergreen and lemongrass in mine.

I ordered several different oils from glorybee and use them in different methods. Feed, spray, oil patties. And mixed in oil or honey.

So far so good.

It's not the real deal, but just what I came up with that contains the same effective ingredients. I use it as a Spring and Fall feeding with good results so far.

Recipe:
    5 cups water
    2 1/2 pounds of sugar
    1/8- 1/4 tsp of lecithin granules dissolved in almost boiling water (to make the total of above water requirements)- you'll have to strain the lecithin after dissolving to remove what's left of the solid particles.
    15 drops each of spearmint and lemon grass oils

The lecithin is to help emulsify the oils in the sugar water mixture. I also add a few drops of minerals that are marketed for birds for a little added mineral content.
    Mrs H

Mike, the peppermint is more expensive then wintergreen from the glorybee site.

Personally I like the wintergreen. I have no scientific reasons except I've been using it longer and it seemed to work and I prefer the taste of wintergreen to peppermint or spearmint myself.

Also, I already have a large bottle of the wintergreen that I was already using before I heard of HBH.

Bjorn, please excuse my confusion; I meant to ask Bullseye Bill, who had said that he used his own recipe for HBH.
    Has anyone noticed how many of the forum contributers have names that begin with B? Hmm..
    I'd better go out to protect my garden. Possible frost predicted tonight!

Greetings . . .

To find recipes for Honey-B-Healthy, try doing a search.

Here are two old post. One has the same recipe and lots of same wording as Daisy's.
    http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000024.html
    http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000373.html

Dave W

I got this recepie off this board about a year ago, and can not take credit for it, it reads;

5 cups H2O
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    15 drops spearmint oil
    15 drops lemongrass oil
    1/8 to 1/4 lecithin granules

I have no idea what unit of measure the lecithin is supposed to be, so I split the difference and use 1/4 tablespoon.

How odd that it is exactly the same as Dasie's?

Gramps always said, "If some is good, more is better..."

I deviate from this recepie and do as follows;

Boil 2 1/2 cups of water, add 1/4 tablespoon of lecithin GRANUALS, stir for a LONG time until they disolve.
    Add 2 1/2 cups sugar and disolve, let cool.
    Add 25 drops each of lemongrass, wintergreen and spearmint. I don't add the oils until the temperature of the solution cools so as not to evaporate any of the oils off the solution.

Thanks to Dasie, next time I will strain the lecithin globuletts out before I add the oils. The lecithin did not globulate right away for me and became a nusience later.

I add two tablespoons of this mixture per gallon of 1:1 syrup. It is a tremendious magnet to the bees. If I give a young colony two gallons of feed, the next weekend it is always gone.

One word of caution, during a darth of flow be very careful with this feeding. It is such a strong attractant that you will promote robbing.

I reduce the entrances on small hives, and am careful not to splash the syrup on the outside of the hive box. You will notice that there are bees inspecting the outside of the feeders trying to find openings. Use a little uncommon sense, you won't have any problems.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

One of the B-Guys

>Sure you can have the recipe, I just didn't know if anyone would be interested.
    5 cups water
    2 1/2 pounds of sugar
    15 drops each of spearmint and lemongrass oils
    1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules

You have to dissolve the granules in very hot (almost boiling) water and let it cool prior to incorporating the oils into the mixture. The lecithin is an emulsifier and helps disperse the oils in the water mixture. This is the standard recipe according to a website article I read about using essential oils, and these are the two oils used in the HBH. I use less of the oils than the recipe calls for since I am feeding fairly heavily at this time, but for a spring or fall treatment, I will follow these measurements.

HERE IT IS!

It was posted Sep 24, 2002 by Dragonfly, Thanks Dave!

------------------
    Bullseye Bill
    Smack dab in the middle of the country.

MB wrote
    >HBH is a mixture of Lemongrass oil, Peppermint oil and Lecithin.

Strike the pepermint and insert spearmint, well, that is what's on the bottle...

Bill

Besides Sucrose, Water, Spearmint oil, Lemongrass oil, and Lecithin, the bottle also lists Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.

I suppose that the designer of Honey-B-Healthy also noticed that their bees liked to lick them also.

For questions and comments the phone number listed is 301.724.3529
    Honey-B-Healthy
    Cumberland Md. 21502

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast