Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IPM crisco

Question

o.k...., a foaming and lathering agent...

So, what's up with that? What possible use would inclusion of this ingredient be in a product for bees? Dasie? Are you the resident herbalist?

------------------
    Bullseye Bill
    Smack dab in the middle of the country.

I'm guessing since it's basically a soap that it was inteneded to help with the disolving of the oil in water. But everthing I've read on it only talks about it as a foaming agent.

Ignore

[This message has been edited by Steve Hamilton (edited September 10, 2003).]

Exclamation

Ah, a toiletrie for the bees to aid in their grooming...hummm

Bill

WOW! Thanks for the link. I've heard the rumors about SLS and I specifically avoid it when buying soaps and shampoos (they say right on the label: does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate). I had no idea it was in toothpaste. I clearly also haven't done the adequate research to find out what the specific issues are and whether they are substantiated or not.
    Hmmmm. The things you learn in Beekeeping 101

Bill, This is my own observation, and I don't think Micheal recommends it, so I preface.

Just add salt! LOL

Bill, wasn't it you that said you add about an eighth of a teas of salt to three gallons of sugar water?

I added a little over a half teaspoon in their gallon of community drinking water a couple of weeks ago and it's been a virtual feeding frenzy for those bees at that water trough ever since.

Now do what you want with this information, but between that and the fabric saturated with thyme and vapo rub combined, I've had so many mites fall the floor dead that I got freaked out and by last night I was seriously considering putting harsh commercial chemicals in my hives.

But thank Goodness, Billy Bob helped me last night through real time chat to have a better understanding about bees..

Anywho, my old old bee books say to give salt into their water. So I did.

One word of caution, during a darth of flow be very careful with this feeding. It is such a strong attractant that you will promote robbing.

I reduce the entrances on small hives, and am careful not to splash the syrup on the outside of the hive box. You will notice that there are bees inspecting the outside of the feeders trying to find openings. Use a little uncommon sense, you won't have any problems........

And Bill, I smear vapo rub around the seams where I see robber bees sniffing. LOL

Even around the boardman feeders at the seams where the jar is seated, and those bees are smart, they know what the jars contain so I cover the jars with cloth to conceal it.

>I've had so many mites fall the floor dead that I got freaked out and by last night I was seriously considering putting harsh commercial chemicals in my hives.

If we had no mites in our hives we would lose the hygenic trates that we are trying to breed into our bees. I think that we may actully need to have at least some because they are now part of the nature of things and will always be here. The bees are going to have to learn to deal with the mites. It is our job to help them adjust.

I am of the thinking that by the use of certain additives to the hives we can promote hygenic behaviour. Grease patties, oils on paper towles and in their feed, fgmo, oxalic acid, all should help the bees deal with the mites. We know that these methods will not completely remove the mites from the hives, except perhaps the oxalic acid, but even if the mites were all gone, their return is emminant.

However, if I was faced with an epidemic of mites, I would use the chemicles to get a quick knock down. I wouldn't even think twice about that. I have to protect and serve until they can take care of themselves.

------------------
    Bullseye Bill
    Smack dab in the middle of the country.

>I've had so many mites fall the floor dead that I got freaked out and by last night I was seriously considering putting harsh commercial chemicals in my hives.

I would take that as a sign that what you are doing is working, not a sign that you need something else.

As to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, I was merely trying to shed some light on what it is. I am not making any judgements. I have seen contradictory information on the subject and am not sure what to think.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123