Thread: extractors

twind59 Guest

Question

I'm thinking about a winter project of building an extractor. I have experienced the use of an extractor wherein the frames have to be reversed. My question is: If one has an extractor in which the frames are placed like the spokes of a wheel with the top bar to the outside, will that extract "both" sides of the frame without reversing?
    Thanks
    Barry
    Indianapolis

Yes. It is called a "radial extractor". They are available commercially. I highly recommend them. Personally, I wouldn't buy a tangental (the kind you have to reverse) unless it was used and very cheap because it's too much work. Go to any bee supplier's web site and look at radial extractors. The only "disadvantage" (if it is one) is that frames radially have a limitation on depth. e.g. my 9/18 radial will hold 18 medium frames, but only 9 deeps and I don't think it will extract Dadant deeps.

twind59 Guest

Probably not a "disadvantage" since I would be fabricating things to whatever specs I decided, Just as much work to make it for one depth as another, I would think. Sounds like radial is the way to go. So...to effectively use a radial, then, does it have to be operated in the reverse direction to get both sides, or does going in one direction only do the job?

I do run it both ways, just because I can and it always seems like if a machine WILL run both ways it will last longer if it does. But I haven't really seen much difference. You can get it really dry just running in one direction.

I took me about 14 years to realize that my 20 deep frame radial Dadant extractor would take up to 36-38 medium deep frames (6-1/4"), by placing frames 21-36 in between
    slots 1-20. It can produce allot of extracted honey in a short amount of running time.
    Walt

MB
    You have the Manlake 9-18? I think that is what you have said.How do you run it in reverse? May be a different controler.Mine only goes one way.

Bob

Yes, I have a Mann Lake 9/18. Mine has a "throttle" with a center position for off and a right or left direction to run the motor. I think it would work just as well if I didn't reverse it. They look pretty dry by the time I've done it in one direction.

Ok mine has the same switch,but left is variable speed and to the right is just wide open.they must have changeged controls.Mine look very dry going only one way.Much better than the 3 fram crank i had to flip the frames in.I dont think i need to run both ways just wonder why your went both ways>
    Thanks MB
    Bob

Mine is variable in both directions.