East Texas Pine Rooter Guest

I caught a nother ferel hive from a friends fallen oak tree limb. i hived them last night after dark. the last colony i put in hive, swarmed. this time i put a excluder to keep the queen in place. this morning i went out, and found bees all over the front of hive, and a swarm on a pine tree branch. i hurried to get a swarm trap in place, but they had moved back to the hive box. i checked on them before dark, but they must have gone back in with the queen. i have a 1/1 syrup in place. the lower hive box has 10-frames of drawn comb, with a couple of them with some of ther brood. i guess i should have put another brood box on with only starter strips. how long should i wait before taking the queen excluder off, and put the other brood box in place?

>how long should i wait before taking the queen excluder off, and put the other brood box in place?

When the queen starts laying and there is brood to tend the need for the includer is over.

For a while I was putting one an all my caught swarms. Then I would start noticing that some queens would get out, presumibly for a mating flight, and not be able to get back in. So be watchful for that too.

If you give them a frame of brood they will almost always stay.

[This message has been edited by BULLSEYE BILL (edited August 10, 2004).]

The question you don't know the answer to is if she's a virgin or a laying queen. I'd wait until you see them drawing a few frames of comb and then I'd remove the excluder. Probably four days or so. That way if she needs to mate she can. If not, they should have settled in by then.