Thread: A whole system

I was at a beekeeping workshop this last weekend and got to meet Loyd Spears (of Ross Rounds) and Wally Diehnelt (of Honey Acres) and many other beekeepers from IA, KS, MO and NE.

One thing that struck me in conversations is how often our style of beekeeping is a whole system. While it's true you can take one person's idea and maybe incorporate it into your systme it's also true that it may not work.

For instance. The fact that I run all mediums gives me the freedom to do many of the things I do. Often they would not work if I had a deep for the brood chamber. Things like baiting up a super with some brood doesn't work unless the frames in the super and the frames in the brood chamber are interchangable.

Closing the bottom entrance and using only a top entrance (which I also do) is not possible if you use an excluder because the drones can't get out. But I don't use an excluder.

The freedom to do what you want with a frame of honey is dependant on whether you use chemicals in your hive or not. I don't so I can do a lot of things that you can't do if you have used TM or Checkmite or Apistan etc.

The freedom to do what you want with a frame of honey is also dependant on what you feed. If you feed nothing but honey you can assume it's honey. But if you feed a lot of sugar syrup or corn syrup, how do you know it's not syrup?

So sometimes one person's method for a small thing really doesn't work for you unless you are doing the whole system.

Sometimes it's even simple things like how your equipment is assembled or if you have plastic comb or wax. Some manipulations may break different equipment than the ones you are used to doing them on.

Anyway, you will eventually have a system of your own. Every beekeeper does. Just remember when you go adapting other peoples ideas to take into account how it effects the whole system.

Well, I don't have a problem with placing a medium frame in a deep super. The bees simply attach to the medium and build down.

Then if I need the medium inside a medium, I can cut the length of wax off of the base of the medium frame..

It's not as complicated as many precieve.

[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited June 20, 2004).]

Excellent point Mike. These guys with 200+ hives can't do the stuff we sidliners do. Even FGMO is labor intensive for them. Small cell and shaking down, ditto. Also we can individualize our hives rather than use a one size fits all regimen. I wish I had started out with all mediums. This year I have 1 or 2 mediums over 1 deep, for a brood nest. It's limiting. Like you I use no chemicals and have often been glad of that.
    Daisy, That's an idea I hadn't thought of, and a good one.

dickm