Thread: Super's

Going to have to add super's today.all the bees are doing well,I've alway's just added super's on top of each other as the bees needed it(start off with at least 2 drawn.)But was wondering do you all think the bees my slow production down once they get so much.I've got a hive that has 6 shallow super's on them now & they are full, alot of them has 4& some with 5.did'nt know if I should pull some or keep stacking them,I've rotated some.I also would love to see how high the one with 6 can go before the end of the honey flow,>>>>>>>> Mark

I have heard the theory that if you steal all their stores they will work harder. Then there is the fact that the bees will do a better job of keeping out the wax moths, ants etc. I haven't noticed any difference in production leaving them on or taking them off, but sometimes they get too tall to handle and I have to take some off so I can get the supers on.

Saw a picture this spring of a guy who had a double brood system and had 12 supers stacked on that hive and him beside it on a 10 foot ladder. Didn't pay attention to see if they were shallows or mediums but that is an impressive number!

WOW I don't think we cqan ever get that much in Minnesota. How about that. ? Any of you MN beekeepers get 10 full suppers from a hive?

------------------
    Erwin

I'm in Eastern Nebraska and I've often gotten eight shallow supers full of honey from a hive.

Hi,

Its impressive to see colonies stack tall. I used to like to see it and let the girls make the tall ones. When you get 5 deep honey supers on top of three deep brood nest things start getting daunting. Now not every colony will be a super colossel one. But when one works through 50 or 60 colonies stacked tall for production. You start to look at things differently. A rotational harvesting schedule seems alot better. Not to mention the early harvested supers can be extracted and returned again. I'm not so tough any more and spreading out the work just is easier.

Clay

I don't remember how many supers it was, but I remember having to back the pickup up to the hive and add supers from the truck bed to a hive that was too tall to reach. This location was in Minnesota. If the queen is excellent, the weather cooperates, and the fickle flow is good, a hive in Minnesota or Wisconsin can do some amazing things.