Thread: what did i see

This afternoon at approximately 4:00 I was watching some of my beehives and went into the house for a few minutes. When i came back out one of my hives had a swarm of approx. 50 bees in front of it. I sat and watched for a while. Curiousity got to me and i went over to the hive and took a look. At that time a large bee approx 3x the size of a regular bee was on the front board. The other bees were trying to fight it(i think). It had fallen onto the ground with one regular bee attached. I am thinking it was either a queen or and xlarge drone. i reached down to pick it up and just as i did it flew away. This was amongst 30-40 swarming bees. I did not konw if i had a swarm coming out so i just sat back and waited. within a few minutes the bees started calming down and all went back to normal. This was a large bee and i dont know if it was a drone or queen because i didnt get to pick it up. this hive was started mid may with a 3 pound package. it is doing extra well with no problems and it has produced me 2 extra 6 1/2 inch supers of honey. i still have my fall honey flow coming up in a couple of weeks which will be mostly goldenrod and soybeans. Can someone please tell me what i saw? I am a novice and since finding beesource the information i have gotten has been of the greatest help. Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions.
    Walter

I would need more specifics. For instance, 3x as big as a regular bee? Does that mean three times as long? Three times the area? Could you come up with a estimate in inches or millimeters as to how long and how wide? What were the markings, coloring etc? There are other insects that resemble a bee that the bees might attack. I've had all kinds of wasps build nests under the bottom boards etc. There are many different kinds of wasps some of which are colored amber like most Italian bees are.