Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOW WOW WOW

Wink

CherGarr,
    I wanted to clearify that last post... Not only do I get negative attention from the bees when I don't wear a hat and veil, but my mom and her family are "white people" (AKA pale-faces So I get a lot of negative attention from them too when they seem my hair. So I have just taken to wear a veil all the time. At last Easter's lunch, no one even mentioned my hair once! Also, since I started wearing it regularly, I no longer get stings on the back of my ears.... oh, and I haven't seen a pink elephant either. I heard they were in the area from my niece. Maybe they are scared of veils?
    WayaCoyote

Wayacoyote, why are they so attracted to hair? My hair is blonde/gray, but still seems to attract attention. I purposely don't use hairspray or anything like that, but they just love to get tangled in my hair. Another reason I should always wear my veil when working the bees. One beekeeper gave me the idea of carrying a wide-toothed comb with me when I garden (why didn't I think of that), but I still pull it back tight in a ponytail whenever I venture out to the garden.

They get tangled in my hair and my beard all the time. I should keep a comb in my toolbox because once they get tangled they keep burrowing in until they sting me.

Exactly, Michael. The only thing that can compare is when they crawl in the sleeve of my short-sleeved Tshirt.

My first mentor told me that bees chain up to produce wax and she called it "festooning". I don't know if thats the spelling. I've never read that word or heard it anywhere. Anyone else?

Dickm

Yes, that's the right term.

Tia,
    I don't know why they are so concerned over hair... are we talking about my family or the bees?

Well, it may be for the same reasons anyway. My family seems to think that anyone with long hair is a hoodlum out for trouble. My bee teacher told me that the bees see it as a predatory thing.

On the flip side, I do have a lot of women in my family who dote over their hair. Perhaps the worker bees are just fussy about hair as well, since they are girls. I don't recall the drones making such a fuss.

I just used some of that Fischer's BeeQuick today. It had a good scent, like old fashon home-made Christmas hardcandy. I am thinking about using it as a body spritz, especially when I am working my bees.

And, by the way, I too recently got a comb (hair comb, that is) upon the recommendation of the lady that cuts my hair. Now I just got to figure out what it's for.

WayaCoyote

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12