Thread: wingless bees

i saw some bees with no wings today when i went to check the bees. i dont know what it means but it is kind of creepy. i only saw a few (but i was just looking at the top of the frames, i did'nt pull them out or anything. does this just sometimes happen like human birth defects or is this the result of something specific?

Exclamation

You have some mite issues. Get into a treatment with FGMO, mite check, or other. FGMO is what I use. The mites when they feed hurt the pupa when they are sealed up. You have to start a treatment soon.
    Dan

see www.beesource.com/pov/rodriguez/abjmar2004.htm

Or go to our FGMO group. Good luck.

Sometimes OLD bees have frayed and worn wings. Old bees are shinier and not as fuzzy as young bees. Sometimes YOUNG bees have deformed wings from Varroa or from viruses carried by the Varroa (DWV Deformed Wing Virus). If they are young you might want to do a 24 hour mite drop count with your SBB or use some sticky paper or a piece of plastic with pam or oil on it. Or do a sugar roll to get an idea of the mite load on your bees.

ok, thanks for the info. these two just plain did'nt have wings. i've been treating with thymol but i guess it wasnt strong enough. i'll do the oil paper thing and see what turns up. thanks for the prompt replies.

bjerm, thanks for the link to the fgmo info.

figmo? I haven't been figmo since I left the aushawn valley in 72. Oops...kinda dates me doesn't it.
    Actually, serious stuff and I'm following the fgmo forum as closely as I can. Just couldn't resist.

Wink

If your trying to not use chemicals, try the essantual oils in a spray or feed, that is what I use and it seems to work for me. Their is a web site www.thehealingpath.com/OrganicBeekeeping/

------------------
    'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

[This message has been edited by SilverFox (edited July 29, 2004).]

dear silverfox, thanks for your suggestion. i bought the fogger two days ago and yesterday did my first FGMO treatment. boy was it easy! and kind of fun, too. i am planning on adding thymol into the FGMO as soon as i can get my hands on some. is mineral oil considered organic? (in the non-chemistry sort of way?

I guess it is, non toxic. You can eat it but be close to the out house with lots of toilet paper.
    Dan
    PS The thymol I have has an 1-800-932-1039 number. Do you want it? I'll give it to you so you can call them. The company name is MEDISCA INC. They are from Plattsburg., NY 12901 Just let me know if you want thier phone number and address ok?

[This message has been edited by bjerm2 (edited July 30, 2004).]

Great topic!
    So if you see a bee that has no wings and is shiny with no fuzz, it's an old bee. The reason I ask, is that I was working bees this morning and I saw that very thing outside the hive. I currently fog with FGMO weekly and as soon as I take honey off I am going to add thymol to the mix.

I also noticed that there was a more dead bees outside in front of the hive. I started feeding sugar water again to some hives and I am not sure if it is due to robbing or what. I thought it was because I fogged wrong or something, because I noticed it a couple days later after fogging.

Tony