Big Grin

I am wanting to buy some nucs this year, but from who?

I don't want to buy from down south because I want cold-hardy bees who have no African genes, and some of the places from up North apparently are from areas where hive beetles are common.

Can anyone reccomend a firm that sells bees who don't have these problems? To make things harder, I want them MAILED, I can't pick them up.......

[This message has been edited by Terri (edited January 28, 2004).]

I'm in Eastern Nebraska. (between Omaha and Lincoln) I have some small cell nucs, but they aren't cheap. I might have some regular sized bees in nucs (we'll see how they overwintered) that I could sell cheaper. I may not be a far drive for you to my place, or I might be able to mail a nuc to you. If they make it to spring they survied the winter north of you.

Well, that would be a 7 hour round trip in a pickup that is on it's last legs. I hope to be able to replace it next year.

Tell you what, if the new hives do well, perhaps I can buy one of your good queens this summer and take some bees from my stronger hives to set her up.

Last fall I helped a beekeeper with some late summer splits, and they have done VERY well. He starts the queens out with 4 frames of bees, and gives them all of the syrup and pollen substitute that they will take. He winters them over in 2 nucs per hive, with the nucs stacked on top of each other for greater warmth. He says he does this every year.

I don't think that as a new beekeeper I should push the envelope THAT much, but I am seriously considering a mid-summer split.

[This message has been edited by Terri (edited January 28, 2004).]