Thread: Bee pasture

Question

I have 5 unused acres, I was thinking of putting them under Yellow/White sweetclover, Alfalfa, and Hairy Vetch. My question is given a average year with no weather extremes how many strong hives should work an acre of above mentioned crops.

I don't really know the answer to your question about how many hives per acre, but I will tell you that I planted hairy vetch last Fall, it grew like crazy and had lots of flowers, and the bees barely touched it. They did like the sweet clover which is still in bloom but is tapering off. I planted alfalfa, but it didn't do much here in this area. Next year, I am also planting some buckwheat. I visited a good friend about 15 miles from me who planted it and the bees in her area just loved it, plus it is still in bloom. The summers here are pretty barren for good bee plants.

I also have never seen a bee on hairy vetch but that doesnt mean they dont work it. Buckwheat lasts a long time and grows on some pretty poor soil if you dont mind the honey.

If you are just looking for something fun to do, planting five acres with bee forage could provide it. Im not really sure if five acres would make much difference to the bees. I'd be more concerned about what is in 2 miles of the hives.....talking major acreage to make honey.

If it was me and I was planting for the bees, I'd worry about early and late nectar and pollen. The in between stuff they are likely to ignore your plants anyway.