Exclamation

I was given about 4 pick-up truck loads of rough sawed oak. The guy that gave it to me builds barns and said it was to seasoned to use the air nailers to install. I had a very good day at the fleamarket and hope to find a portable table saw for a good price.
    I thought it might work for the TBHs since the small amout of difference in thickness would not give as many problems. The only real worry I see is having to predrill everything.

Has anyone used rough milled lumber for hives?

JC

I have a few hundred supers I made from band sawed cedar.No planing.They are fine for the job.I have no experience with oak,but I once bought some used mahogany supers(very heavy).I have always used whatever materials God sent my way(pallets,crates,plywood,planer ends).It was all useable for something.
    ---Mike

I wouldn't hesitate to build standard boxes out of it too. Just make sure the INSIDE dimensions are right and a little off on the outside won't matter.

The oak boxes will last longer than any of us do. But they will be heavy. I wouldn't make full deeps out of it. They are already too heavy.

I sure will not make deeps. I have problems lifting so I am going to all mediums. Some of the wood is really thick and thin(1 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch within 3 feet). Those gang band saws cut alot straighter than the big blade. Since he buys it to build barns and picks over it before it gets brought home it is a low grade of rough sawed lumber. But out of that much lumer I should be able to build several hives and many other projects.

I make screen bottom boards and lids out of pallets (oak and hickory only). I bought a $200 Delta planer and a $200 Delta tablesaw which both work great. The planer makes the old pallet wood look like new, and makes it very smooth. It also gets boards to the same thickness. If you're going to spend the time it takes to make your own equipment, I say spend that extra bit to make it look professional... use a planer.

I have no income because of my back injury. I am going to try and find a used table saw. If I had the money I would have a planer. I made pallets at a shop in Morrison(10 miles away). Hickory does not weather well. It rots very quick when exposed to the elements.

Hillbilly,

If you can't find a cheap used table saw you could probably just make one with a circular saw to get by with. I've seen this done and they actually work nicely. I'm not positive, but I'm guessing you could hook up the switch to a doorbell for easy access switch or make some type of arm system for the trigger activator.

I'm thinking of doing this with my 7 1/4" worm drive skil saw. My elbow has been hurting me, so I got a smaller one. I think I'll use an old outlet to mounted on the table to plug it into and an old light switch to turn it one and off and just wire the trigger back. Of course the fence is the pain, but I'm just going to use a 2 by four and "C" Clamps. I think I'll mount an old measuring tape at each end to simplify measuring.

Greetings . . .

Misuse of any kind of saw ALWAYS results in injury! Missing fingers makes it hard to lift supers too.

Merry Xmas,

------------------
    Dave W . . .

A NewBEE with 1 hive.
    First package installed
    April, 2003.

I couldnt keep bees without a good tablesaw.Get the best you can afford.It will pay for itself many times over.I see used saws anywhere from 50 to 150 in the ads.My current saw is an old Craftsman and it is still going strong after hundreds of supers ,lids and bottom boards,several thousand frames,plus the household uses that arise from time to time.

[This message has been edited by loggermike (edited December 23, 2003).]

I went around to pawn shops yesterday. The only one I saw worth having was $89 plus tax. I went around about 3 monthes ago and saw several good looking saws for 50 to 75. I think they marked them up for Christmas. Since there are no more at the pawn shops it would make since. The other one I saw was 100 and it looked like crap. I have 65 saved up. That has taken me 4 monthes and I was using my walks to pick up cans before it turned cold.

Go to auctions, I bought a Craftsman radial arm saw for $80. on a base with some extras. You never know what you will come across at auctions, sometimes things go high, and sometimes dirt cheap.