Thread: beekeeping suit

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a lightwieght nylon suit compared to a cotton or cotton/polyester suit?

Big Grin

They are much cooler.

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Some of the nylon suits are sting proof. Dale

I bought a suit from a well known supplier(my 4th new suit in 30 years,) it had the hood type veil. I was very disapointed to find that the two hood zippers started at the back of my neck. This is a stupid design. I like to start working my bees with only my suit on, and no veil, because if I don't hit a mean hive I can work without a viel. With a front starting zippered veil, I can put it on after there are to many stinging bees. With this veil I must leave it dangling behind my head, because it is impossble to put on when wearing the suit. Each time I bend over it comes swinging to my front. Whoever designed it has never worked bees.
    Most of my hives are gentle and I can do most of the work with no suit at all. But the first mean bee to hit me always gets me in the septum above my moustache....OUCH!!!

I have had cotton ones with zip on veils with the helmet. I liked them. The only stings I've ever gotten with it are ankle stings when I didn't rubber band my ankles and I was wearing moccasins (lazy). and once when it was really hot and I wasn't wearing any shirt, just the coveralls and they were soaked in sweat and the fabric was stretched tight across my back and I got a sting on my shoulder blade.

I currently have nylon one. I'm not sure how you describe the hood, but it has no helmet and is self supporting. You can just unzip it and flop it back and it hangs off your back like a hood. At first I was afraid because the nylon on the back of the hood is in contact with my head. But I have not been stung through it. I wouldn't say it's not any hotter or cooler than the cotton one, but it is lighter and I like the hooded veil.

I am thinking of buying one of the suits advertised by Golden Bee Products. I'd like some feedback from someone who has one before I part with the $200.
    Thanks, Bill

Bill,

We have two of the Golden Bee suits and love them. Bees can't sting through it yet it permits air to move through - keeps you cooler than most other suits.

------------------
    Rob Koss

Good grief! I finially decided to forget the suit and spend the money on something else and I get a good testimonial...
    I thought that I would get up the gumption and try to not use gloves and go with a lighter weight suit, however I do intend to do some bee removals this year and will need a fairly resistant suit.
    Is there no end of neat gizmos to spend money on in this hobby???
    Thanks for your reply,
    Bill

>Is there no end of neat gizmos to spend money on in this hobby???

No. Oh! Was that a rhetorical question?

Michael where did you buy the suit that you have now and what was the cost please
    Thanks Rich

>Michael where did you buy the suit that you have now and what was the cost please

Mine is from Mann Lake, but most suppliers seem to have them.
    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/catalog/page55.htm

About $140.