Question

This newbee (going on second year) has a couple of questions.
    This first one relates to mattoleriver's earlier topic (medium for a deep).
    1. I was wondering if there is an easy way to get a purchased 4-5 frame "deep" nuc converted to medium supers.
    2. Can you use a medium super for catching small swarms or stack mediums (as needed) to catch larger swarms?
    3. Should they have screened bottoms or screened bottom boards with entrance blocks?
    4. Does anyone use a 5-frame "medium" nuc to make splits or is this too small.
    5. Does perma comb work well in catching new swarms
    6. Is lemongrass oil (mixed with sugar water)the major ingrediant used with the PC for bee acceptance. What ratio ?
    Thank you

>1. I was wondering if there is an easy way to get a purchased 4-5 frame "deep" nuc converted to medium supers.

If you have a five frame deep nuc box, you can make a board that is 16 1/4" x 19 7/8" with a hole in the middle that is 18 3/8" long and 1 1/2" less wide than the nuc. You could put this on top of the nuc with a medium box on top of that and just wait for them to move into the medium box.

You could also just add five medium frames to a 10 frame deep box and let them fill these and add a medium box on top when they are done. Move the deep frames to the outsides when they are capped brood, until they are full of honey then take them out, cut the comb off the bottom of the medium frames and move it all into a medium box.

You could just add five deep frames and a medium box on top and after the first winter, when the bottom deep is empty, pull it.

>2. Can you use a medium super for catching small swarms or stack mediums (as needed) to catch larger swarms?

I use a five frame medium nuc for small swarms and an eight frame medium hive for larger swarms and I would use a ten frame for really large swarms but haven't had any that large since I've gone to mediums.

>3. Should they have screened bottoms or screened bottom boards with entrance blocks?
    For a hive starting out entrance reducers are nice to prevent robbing. I like about a 3/4" x 3/8" opening for a hive starting off. If you have a screened bottom board, close it up with a tray or something underneath until the hive is going well or until the bees start bearding on the front on hot days.

>4. Does anyone use a 5-frame "medium" nuc to make splits or is this too small.

I do. Often. Depending on how much I want to put in it. I have five frame nucs, and 8 frame boxes so I use whichever seems appropriate.

>5. Does perma comb work well in catching new swarms.

Mine is wax coated, so maybe I'm not the best one to ask. I have had wonderful success with it. If it was used by the bees already I'm sure it would work great.

>6. Is lemongrass oil (mixed with sugar water)the major ingrediant used with the PC for bee acceptance.

Basically, yes. Honey Bee Healthy is what John Seets recommends and it is mostly Lemongrass oil and peppermint oil.

>What ratio ?

You can buy HBH (honey bee healthy) at Beecommerce or from John Seets. If you want to make your own, here's a recipe(thanks to Clint):
    “Honey Bee Healthy” Recipe
    5 cups water
    2 1/2 pounds of sugar
    15 drops each of spearmint and lemongrass oils
    1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules
    You have to dissolve the granules in very hot (almost boiling) water and let it cool prior to incorporating the oils into the mixture. The lecithin is an emulsifier and helps disperse the oils in the water mixture. This is the standard recipe according to a website article I read about using essential oils, and these are the two oils used in the HBH. I use less of the oils than the recipe calls for since I am feeding fairly heavily at this time, but for a spring or fall treatment, I will follow these measurements.
    Essential Oils:

LorAnn Oils
    4518 Aurelius Road
    P.O. Box 22009
    Lansing, Michigan 48909
    (517) 882-0215
    or toll free
    1-800 248-1302
    or by fax
    (517) 882-0507
    The last I purchased was Spearmint oil 1 ounce for $3.99

"1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules"

Thanks for the info Mike. Where would one find this emulsifier? As for the essential oils, I'm in good shape as my wife is a massage therapist and uses alot of these.

Personally I don't use the Lecithin, but that is the original recipe. You do need an emusifier though. Honey is a great one. Put the oils in a jar of honey and stir them well and let them set a while to permeate it. Then mix it with the rest. Don't mix it with HOT syrup or the oils will evaporate.

I think you can find Lecithin in some health food stores.