Thread: paint

Question

Is there any thing i can use to treat my new hives so they look natural? a wood preservative? that not toxic to the bees.my thinking is if its only on the outside and has dried well it should be OK.I was hoping to use VAL SPAR Penetrating Oil wood toner.as i have some left from doing the siding on the house.any input will be helpfully. thanks

Things I have tried:

Exterior Latex paint neutral base with no pigment. Works pretty well. It will eventually turn silver, but it takes a while.

Boiled Linseed oil. Same results. It will turn silver, but it takes a while.

Nothing. Turns a beautiful silver quite quickly and I don't know that it doesn't last as long. I usually try to get the tops painted because they get rained on directly.

You can use stains. As long as what ever you use has no insecticides/ fungicides in there you should have no problems. Just let whatever you use dry well and air out.

Cool

thanks for the input I just don't like paint on wood and anything that not treated and left bare the bumble bees bore holes in then the woodpeckers tear it up going for the larva.about tore up the chicken coop rafters

Patty,
    Great question. Thanks, I have wanted that info, too.

MB,
    when you say silver, you mean SILVER? or Grey and weathered as untreated wood will do?
    THanks,
    Coyote

One thing to consider is shellac. It is FDA approved for food contact (capsule coatings are made from it). It has fair moisture resistance. I coat mine inside and out with shellac and then paint the outside.

>when you say silver, you mean SILVER? or Grey and weathered as untreated wood will do?

I mean that natural grey/silver color that weathered wood gets. It will take longer when you treat it, but it always changes color eventually.

>One thing to consider is shellac. It is FDA approved for food contact (capsule coatings are made from it). It has fair moisture resistance. I coat mine inside and out with shellac and then paint the outside.

I've never tried it, but have considered it before. I never paint the inside with anything.

I think the parafin/gum coating would be wonderful, but haven't had the time or energy to build a dunking tank to dip them in. Metled parafin and gum mixture would seem like a wonderful way to protect the wood and not hurt the color much either.

Mann Lake sells the gum and parifin for dipping boxes.