I was wondering how shaking bees off a frame to use for a shook swarm (Jenter system)would affect the sealed or unsealed brood when placing the frame back into the donator colony?

>I was wondering how shaking bees off a frame to use for a shook swarm (Jenter system)would affect the sealed or unsealed brood when placing the frame back into the donator colony?

First, A Jenter system is a removable cell plug queen rearing system. If you are shaking bees off for the purpose of queen rearing it has nothing to do with Jenter, but just to do with redistributing nurse bees for the purpose of setting up a cell builder. Is that what you are refering to?

Second, are you refering to the larvae that now are short on nurse bees? Other bees will quickly fill in for them.

Are you refering to jaring the larvae around? I haven't noticed a problem, but it does take some practice to do just enough of a sudden stop without too much. Putting the frame between your hands and hitting your hands downward onto the box you are putting them in, works pretty well. Your hands keep it from being to hard of a stop, but also allow a hard enough stop. Brushing also works and has the advantage of not jaring all of those larvae. If you are ever shaking off a frame of brood that has a queen cell you want to keep, always use a brush. The jaring will damage the queen. She is not supported as well as the worker brood and the cell is running the opposite direction.

Thanks for the helpfull info!
    I would be using the shaken off bees for a queen cell builder. I wasn't too concerned about taking a few nurse bees for the cell builder colony so much as the condition of the brood i'd put back to the donator colony.
    It now makes sense (after reading your response) that the smaller sealed worker brood would be more equiped to hande the "shake" than a capped queen cell. I've noticed (last Jully) that the nurse bees didn't like beeing brushed off very well but this does make sense to use this when a queen cell is found.
    I was also hoping to talk with a local HVAC person to see what they'd charge me to make a larger square funnel to shake these frames into a nuc box more effectively.
    Thanks again

[This message has been edited by sugar bandit #2 (edited January 17, 2004).]

>I was also hoping to talk with a local HVAC person to see what they'd charge me to make a larger square funnel to shake these frames into a nuc box more effectively.

I suppose a funnel must be helpful or the package bee people wouldn't use them. I just have a couple of swarm boxes. One is a five frame box with a #8 hardware cloth bottom. The other is an 8 frame box with a #8 hardware cloth bottom. The bottom is so they don't overheat when I'm making a shaken swarm. I just hold the frame with my hands on the ends and the box is exactly the right width to use to shake them off. I put the lid on and go to the next hive and rap the box to knock down the cluster and shake in some more. I haven't had a lot of problems making shaken swarms this way.

Shaking the bees off won't hurt worker or dronebrood, but it can kill or injure queens. Never shake a frame with a queen cell you may want to keep.