Question

Hello folks.
    Why is it that my bees are storing honey in the brood frames, Making the queen lay sporatically throughout the hive? 2 weeks ago I added 2 medium supers above a excluder an now have less brood ,scattered everywhere. I am running 3 deeps and cut 6 queen cells out 6 days ago in the second deep. Any thoughts?
    Scott

Why is it that my bees are storing honey in the brood frames

reply:

Because it is available for them.

2 weeks ago I added 2 medium supers above a excluder an now have less brood ,scattered everywhere.

reply:

Where they drawn supers or foundations? Also I'd pull the excluder out. I find that although bees will go through it does tend to create a barrier till they get the hint (why I like to bait up too). Your bees may even decide to swarm before going through the excluder.

I am running 3 deeps and cut 6 queen cells out 6 days ago in the second deep. Any thoughts?

reply:

Sounds as if your 3rd if filling in and you need to open it up by harvesting or moving frames into the supers if they are deeps (why having all the same sized boxes has its advantage). I see congestion here. You really ought to pull the excluder at least till the bees are working the supers, but with three deeps you'll find you really don't need it.

Clay

I assume the queen cells were swarm cells hanging off the bottom? The queen may be cutting back on laying in order to swarm and the bees are filling in as the brood emerges. I agree with Clay on the excluder. I'd pull that. At least temporarily. You can probably get a full deep worth of honey out of the three boxes you've set aside for the brood nest and put it up above (if you can lift it (lol)) or extract it and put the drawn comb back in the brood nest.

I think I'd worry the most about them wanting to swarm. You'll have to deal with that. You could do a split right now and combine them back after they settle down. One box with the queen and the other with a swarm cell or two.

Thanks for your replys guys ;
    Went back into this hive tonight , and heard the queen piping! first time I heard that,thought for a minit it was my chickens {about 20' away} but then I spotted her and she did it again!her wings were fluttering very fast. WHAT A EXPERIENCE! Any how I cut 9 more queen cells out tonight.
    I started this hive from a 3 pound package from kelly april 25th , russian queen.kept them in sugar water as they needed it,am using fgmo treatment cords and fogging weekly.added the third deep a couple of weeks ago and now it is full.This hive is wall to wall bees.I realize I need to free up the brood nest to keep them from swarming. What if I kept cutting out the queen cells? would they eventually settle down? If I pull the queen excluder won't the queen move up into the med. supers? I have two supers on , the one above the brood is drawn comb, on top of that foundation.Could I still extract some honey from the frames out of the deeps even though I fed sugar right up to and including when I added the third deep? I have no drawn comb to trade.Hate to make a split right now Im right in the middle of a basswood flow. decisions , decisions. Thanks again for all your input!
    Scott

>Went back into this hive tonight , and heard the queen piping! first time I heard that,thought for a minit it was my chickens {about 20' away} but then I spotted her and she did it again!her wings were fluttering very fast. WHAT A EXPERIENCE!

She's gathering them to swarm or else she's a newly hatched queen.

>Any how I cut 9 more queen cells out tonight. I started this hive from a 3 pound package from kelly april 25th , russian queen.kept them in sugar water as they needed it,am using fgmo treatment cords and fogging weekly.added the third deep a couple of weeks ago and now it is full.This hive is wall to wall bees.I realize I need to free up the brood nest to keep them from swarming. What if I kept cutting out the queen cells? would they eventually settle down?

If the queen was piping and she's quit laying they are pretty well set on the path to swarm. I'm not sure what they will do. I hope they don't swarm and leave you queenless.

>If I pull the queen excluder won't the queen move up into the med. supers?

Not necessarily. My guess is the brood chamber filled up with honey when the queen stopped laying and not visa versa.

>I have two supers on , the one above the brood is drawn comb, on top of that foundation.Could I still extract some honey from the frames out of the deeps even though I fed sugar right up to and including when I added the third deep?

You can always extract it and feed it back to them.

> I have no drawn comb to trade.Hate to make a split right now Im right in the middle of a basswood flow. decisions , decisions.

I prefer to split when they've made up their mind to swarm. It just doesn't work to try to fight them, in my experience.

I agree with MB if they are bent on swarmingthey will swarm. I have already fought this battle this year. Make a split and set out a swarm trap. i made my swarm trap from a small styrofoam ice chest. i ducted taped the lid on and cut a small enterence on one end and hug it from a tree close to my hive.

The styrofoam will work if they bees decide they like it. An old brood box and some old empty black brood combs smells nice to them. Some lemongrass essential oil helps.

Mostly I'd depend on the split.

Thanks so much for all of the replies. To answer your question Michael, she is my marked queen that come with the package, so it looks like I should split. Taking any bets as to how many days until they swarm? Can't split tomorrow l4 hour day at work, hope they hold on a little longer. Wish me luck - Thanks again for all the advice.
    Scott

Since the queen cells were destroyed (assuming you found them all) they probably won't swarm until they get some more made. But since the queen already cut back on laying they are pretty far into the process. "Who knows what lies in the hearts of bees" (apologies to the shadow)

If the queen isn't laying at all the split may not work. If they build some more swarm cells and they have larvae in them (difficult to tell with all those bees sticking thier heads in all the time) then you have the makings for a split.

If they don't build some more swarm cells then either they changed their mind (good for them) or they may go ahead and swarm anyway. Either way you have no eggs for a queen.

Keep an eye out and see what they do. That's all you can do unless you want to catch the queen and clip her or put an excluder on the bottom board. If the clipped queen tries to swarm you'll find the cluster on the ground in front of the hive.