East Texas Pine Rooter Guest

Well she got me going to a Derby party this afternoon, and a birthday party Sunday afternoon. It is raining today, but I won't to go get friends bee hive, and move it to the farm. QUESTION: If I smoke bees at first daylight, and move the hive to the truck for moving, is this time of day ok? I was going to get some screen wire to block the entrance while moving, and strap together.

If you want to move a hive two miles or more, you need to anchor the hive together for the trip and you need to load it. Since I am usually doing this by myself I will give instructions from that view.

I do this when the bees are flying. First I put my transportation as close as I can get to the hive. Directly behind it is best. I have a small trailer I often use, but a pickup would work too. I put a bottom board in the trailer where I think I want the hive to be. I put a strap under it so I can strap the hive together. You can buy small ones at the hardware store but they also sell them at bee supply places. I stack the boxes on the bottom board as I take them off. This leaves the hive in reverse order which will get reversed back when we unload. After all the boxes are on you need to nail all of the boxes together somehow. They sell 2” wide staples that can be used, or you can cut small (2 ½”) squares of plywood and nail it between the parts of the hive to attach it all together. Cut a piece of #8 hardware cloth the length of the entrance and fold it into a 90 degree. It should fit tight enough to keep the bees in. Leave the entrance open until you are ready to leave.

Strap it together tightly and tie it anyway you need to or wedge it with empty bee boxes so that the hive can’t shift or tip over on a curve or a sudden stop.

Next, you need to take into account your situation. If you have other hives at this location and the hive you are moving could lose a few foragers without hurting it much, just close it up and go. The returning foragers will find another hive. If this is your only hive or you are really concerned about losing foragers, then wait for dark and then close it up and go.

When you get to the new location, if it’s already daylight, just unload the hive by putting a bottom board on the new location, removing the staples or plywood and stacking the boxes off onto it. If it’s dark, wait for daylight and do the same thing.

Put a branch in front of the entrance so any bee leaving notices it. A green sapling with some leaves is nice so they have to fly through the middle of it. It causes them to stop and pay attention and reorient.