I did 2 splits 7 days ago.Took 3 frams of brood and one frame of honey and pollen from 2 different hives for both.I used boughten queens and both are out of the cages. I have seen no flying from these splits, it is in the 60s today and still no flying.Is it normal for splits not to be out flying for a week or so? The parent hives are out and about in a big way.I have feeder jars on the top and they have some brown feces on the jars and on the top cover.the only thing that is comon between the 2 is i used some come from a winer killed hive to fill the rest of the deep i have them in.
    they are not taking the sugar syrup only an inch or 2 out of a gallon jar.There are no eggs yet.

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited April 24, 2004).]

>I did 2 splits 7 days ago.Took 3 frams of brood and one frame of honey and pollen from 2 different hives for both.I used boughten queens and both are out of the cages. I have seen no flying from these splits, it is in the 60s today and still no flying.Is it normal for splits not to be out flying for a week or so?

No. Usually SOME are flying from the start, but most get in a huddle and get organized for a couple of days then they start flying regularlly.

>The parent hives are out and about in a big way.I have feeder jars on the top and they have some brown feces on the jars and on the top cover.the only thing that is comon between the 2 is i used some come from a winer killed hive to fill the rest of the deep i have them in.
    they are not taking the sugar syrup only an inch or 2 out of a gallon jar.There are no eggs yet.

It doesn't take much to feed bees. So if they are using their resources in other ways they may not need that much syrup. Brood takes a lot of stores, but bees don't. Maybe they don't have that much open brood to feed?

If you want to know if it's likely to be nosema you'll need to field strip a bee. To be certain you need a microscope.
    http://www.medivet.ca/medivet/bio_diagnos/nosemal.htm

Thanks Michael. that was it they flew a bit the first day or 2.And no there is not much open brood by now to feed.I never did a split befor just packages and swarms and the all were flying by now.They look ok other than no flying yet.we will se what happens in a few days.
    Thanks Bob

Now 2 people have told me that my splits may not be active for a while. About how long befor they should be out flying?

Usually they are flying quite a bit a few days after the split. They usually only take a couple of days to get organized.

But that also depends on what resources are available in the hive and what labor there is to do the work. If there are mostly nurse bees and enough pollen stored and enough honey/nectar/feed, they may not NEED to fly much right now, and the brood may be taking all the bees to keep them warm and fed.