I started this year, and have three new hives a couple of feet apart. The two outside hives always have many bees sitting on the "front porch" and much hectic activity but the one in the middle has only bees coming and going (two or three every five seconds).

The one on the left was two swarms united (paper method) and the one on the right was a Package. the one with the least front action was from a nuc donated by a local beeman and was, I think, my strongest hive. All three have supers being filled with honey and so I haven't looked at the brood area lately.

My question is -- Is the relative lack of activity a warning that some thing is wrong in the colony?
    GABE

Ah, yeah. Sounds like your hives are too close and you've had some drifting. It also sounds like you better check the queen in that hive. The third thing that could've happened is it has swarmed. Right after a swarm leaves activity at the front sloooows down for a few days until the queen hatches. Then activity picks up over the next few days until it is back to normal. I would check that hive.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

I would take a peek in the brood chamber. Check to see if you have a queen and if so her brood pattern. If she's not there, or you don't like her performance by what you are seeing, I would requeen.

Lots of beekeepers have hives 4 to a pallet with inches between them. Mine are all 3 to a 6 foot stand, so they have a foot or so between them. If the hives weren't established or one lost a queen they might drift, otherwise they usually don't drift much. I would make sure you have a queen, then maybe swap it with one of the end hives to strengthen it.

I wouldn't worry so much about the distance, but you probably should take a look in the brood nest and see what's up.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF